What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are vft's self polinating?

Are Vft's self pollinating? If i Let them flower do I need to do anything to them.. or do I just leave the flower and I'll get seeds--->flower.?

Look at the second sticky thread above for more detailed instructions, but merely letting them flower will not pollinate them.

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jlui83 @ April 22 2005,12:47)]Are Vft's self pollinating? If i Let them flower do I need to do anything to them.. or do I just leave the flower and I'll get seeds--->flower.?
No, VFT's are not self-pollinating. If pollen is not manually transferred from stamen to stigma no seed will be produced. This can be done with forceps, a toothpick, or even an insect, etc. Pollen from the same flower can pollinate that flower, under certain conditions. See other thread. If the flower is not pollinated by an outside force there will most usually be no seed produced.

Pingman pretty much covered it, but I gotta add.. you can manually pollinate a plant with its own pollen, but I wouldn't do it long-term, because it's the same as inbreeding and will funk up the genetics after a while.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ April 29 2005,1:34)]it's the same as inbreeding and will funk up the genetics after a while.
However, "funked-up" genetics is what occasionally produces some interesting offspring.

True dat.

Back