Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i cut it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, now my VFT's flower stalk is a good several inches high and now you can see the bud at the top starting to differentiate into different buds. I'm thinking that if the plant flowers(I've only got 1 flower) it won't produce much, if any seed. Is the damage already done as far as energy reserves go? I don't see any change in the plant. In fact right now this flowering plant has the biggest trap of all my plants.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ April 24 2005,12:30)]Ok, now my VFT's flower stalk is a good several inches high and now you can see the bud at the top starting to differentiate into different buds. I'm thinking that if the plant flowers(I've only got 1 flower) it won't produce much, if any seed. Is the damage already done as far as energy reserves go? I don't see any change in the plant. In fact right now this flowering plant has the biggest trap of all my plants.
    If you don't want seed (moot point, as you only have one flower), cut it. No point in further draining the plant.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most ppl say it would be worthwhile to cut it before it reaches 4 inches or lower, check the topic about VFT flowering at the top of this board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats what I've heard is four inches or below.
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's the setting seed that takes most of the energy. Each seed has to have a little packet of energy in there [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you just think about it logically, why on earth would "4 inches or below" make any sense??

pushing up the flower stalk beyond 4" takes energy.
    developing those buds into actual flowers takes energy.
    developing seeds takes a LOT of energy.

I dont know who made up the "before 4 inches, and after that it doesnt matter" rule, but if you think about it its just plain stupid..
    the flower stalk keeps on using energy beyond 4"..actually, if you leave the stalk all the way to seed, it would use MUCH more enegry after 4" than it would before 4"..

so cutting off the stalk any time before seeds develope will same some enegry for the rest of the plant.
    I always nip off the bud as soon as I see it..

Scot

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scot, I think what they meant was that you should cut the flower stalks before they reach 4''.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Scot's point is that it doesn't matter how long the stalk is (whether it be 4 inches or 14 inches) - the longer you wait to cut it, the more energy it takes away from the plant.

So... it's best to cut it as soon as possible [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast