What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Agh! my vft is eating itself!

I just got three vfts that I plan to stick in a terrarium tomorrow. I have a couple of general questions.

My flytraps came all mushed up together, and two of the heads snapped on other heads..Will they spit 'em back out in a little bit or am I going to have black traps already? :|

They are kind of small. Lots of light will help them grow, correct? How much under a florescent garden light? 15 hours?

When you cut off a black trap/leaf where should you make the cut? As close to the base as possible?

Fungicide! What's the best kind? When should I use it?

How do you keep your tanks humid? Would using a spray bottle over the moss and plants be fine? How often?

And! What does the stalk look like when it first starts to pop up? I should cut this as soon as I can get scissors in, right?

Whew. Sorry for all the questions. I just want some happy healthy vfts!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They are kind of small. Lots of light will help them grow, correct? How much under a florescent garden light? 15 hours?
I usually do about 16 hours in my 22"X12" tank with three 18" flourescents on a timer. How big is your terrarium?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How do you keep your tanks humid? Would using a spray bottle over the moss and plants be fine? How often?
Well, I use a nebulizer, but I'm weird.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And! What does the stalk look like when it first starts to pop up? I should cut this as soon as I can get scissors in, right?
Here's some pics showing the stalk I had.
Flagg's setup

Hi Missartichoke and welcome to the forums! Are you definitely sure you want to use a terrarium set up? The reason why I ask is because VFT's do the best when kept outside. They also do well, but the best, when placed in another container that holds water (open tray method) and is uncovered. Terrarium set ups have aethetic appeal, but also, even with excellent artificial lighting, aren't as good as natural sunlight. People also tend to close them, cutting off air circulation, which lends itself to mold - thus the question about fungicides. As long as you don't totally cover whatever you use, there should be no problems with mold or need for fungicide. Humidity is an over-rated concept. they get adequate hunidity when the pot is sitting in another water-filled container. Use store bought distilled water - not tap. I woiuldn't worry about the trap within the trap. It'll open up ands release its victim. Only cut of that which is black. Anything that is green is good and is carrying on photsynthesis.

Peg, JimScott is right. The best growing situation for a VFT is in an open tray of water, in full sun. Since you live off the Mississippi River, your humidity should be more than adequate. The plant will feed itself very well outdoors.

Thanks for everyones help! I will be putting them outside now. It seems like it would be the best option!

Here's a pic to illustrate "open tray":

Jamie's%20Plants.jpg

When my VFT arrived, one trap had a wee developing trap ensnared in it's mouth. The eating trap was doing that "airtight digestion phase" thing, but I just took a pair of tweezers and pulled the little guy out. So far, this hasn't been detrimental to the plant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mannex17 @ April 27 2005,3:53)]When my VFT arrived, one trap had a wee developing trap ensnared in it's mouth.  The eating trap was doing that "airtight digestion phase" thing, but I just took a pair of tweezers and pulled the little guy out.  So far, this hasn't been detrimental to the plant.
But did you give them a "time out"? Take away their privileges? No computer time for a week? Sorry, couldn't resist an old-fashioned anthropomorphism!
smile_m_32.gif

Pickin' on the little guy, huh? I suggest you sit their noses into the corner for an hour!!! BAD, VFT!!!! BAD!!!!!!!!

LOL, jimscott & Bug... they don't call 'em carnivorous for nothin'!
smile_m_32.gif

Yeah, Luna. But when they start to eat their own, time to draw the line!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LunaC @ April 29 2005,12:16)]LOL,  jimscott & Bug... they don't call 'em carnivorous for nothin'!    
smile_m_32.gif
None of that vegetarian stuff for them!

Back