Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hambuger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered my first flytrap after reading a copy of The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato. In his book he notes that it's ok to sometimes feed the planet hamburger yet I read on this website that peoplefood will kill your plant. Who's correct?

carl

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Carl and welcome to our forums! Please don't feed hamburger to VFT's or any CP's. The salts alone are bad for them. Living, flying critters, except for beetles are the best. Also, more important than live food are: light, water (not tap), air circulations, and dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodness gracious! Do not feed your VFTs hamburger! The trap will most likely turn black and rot away pre-maturely (they die and rot away eventually, tho'). Just feed your VFT little bugs and such [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Speaking of which, VFTs do not actually need very many bugs. From what I understand, 1 or 2 bugs per month is more than enough.

Oh ya, welcome to the forums [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums!

I have heard it both ways, some people say that it is possible to do it with no ill effects, and others say it will always die. I myself am somewhere in between. I think it may be possible but that it will usually cause rot. The plant would benefit much more from insects though. The fats and salts in hamburger are usually the cause of the rot. VFTs just don't have the enzymes required for digesting those "ingrediants".
    I won't go into "how to grow VFTs" as you said that you had read the Savage Garden which is where most all of us learned to grow CPs(except those of us who were around before the book, they learned from other books! LOL). But something I might add, if something in the Savage Garden doesn't work, there are about a hundred other ways to try again! We've all been there and done that, so we've had chances to learn new things. So if you ever need anything, that's what we're here for.

Keep growin'
    ~Wes~
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to consider about carnivorous plants is that they are plants - they derive most of what they need as any other plant - light, water, possibly dormancy... It is our species that want to see them eat more than they can possibly handle.

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No hamburger. It's a common misconception that you can feed them hanburger.. I don't want to discredit D'Amato, though.. I figure it would be okay only once in a great while. But otherwise, no people food, just bugs.. and no beetles or other hard-shelled bugs. Really, they don't need bugs.. bugs are simply a natural fertilizer.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will always do best to mimic nature in growing CPs. If a plant doesn't eat hamburger out in the wild, then I'd stick to what they DO eat which is bugs. Let them catch their own...they'll do fine. And they'll do fine even if they don't eat. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

AND...WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember it saying hamburger was okay in Savage Garden...

What I do remember is him quoting an inept hardware store employee saying "just feed it a little hamburger once in a while and it'll be fine"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast