User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would flower stalk cutting help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My blood red that I was letting flower, isn't looking too good now. The flower stalk is about to flower, probably tomorrow as I can see the tips of the white petals. I don't see any new growth on the Blood Red and the rest of the leaves are starting to die from the outside in (not from the trap in). So my question is, should I continue to let it flower?

If I do let it flower and it dies, I might get some seeds out of it. If I don't let it flower and it dies, I'll feel stupid. If I cut off the flower stalk and it lives, I'll wonder if I also wasted the opportunity to let it flower.

If you want to know, yes it went through what I believe is dormancy and is flowering in sync with the rest of my VFTs that are in better shape.

Right now, I'm leaning towards continue to let it flower and hope for the best, but I'm willing to bow to highly experienced VFT growers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]but I'm willing to bow to highly experienced VFT growers.
    Well that rules me out. But I'd say take a leaf cutting, continue to let it flower, and hope it lives or that the cutting takes or both.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So there are no traps on the plant? That one is a tuff one to call.... I would continually let it flower but the plant will be in need of some TLC and heavy feeding once the traps are growing again.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but here is a picture.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pretty sad looking VFT. From the looks of the leaves I don't think it would live long enough to produce seed if you let it flower, so I'd cut the flower off in the hopes that it would redirect its energy into recovering. Is there still new growth coming up from the growth point? If so there's a chance it will recover if you give it lotsa TLC. How long has it been since it was transplanted into fresh sphagnum? If it's been a while, minerals may have built up enough to start damaging the roots. It looks like the leaves got nipped by a sudden freeze or a hard frost. If that's the case and the growth point is still growing it will recover.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think a week or two ago, that I did get hit by a light frost. I guess I wasn't vigilant enough. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definetely would cut the flower stalk off. The flowering process has a draining effect on the plant. I would also take a leaf cutting just in case it doesn't make it.
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut off the flower and repot in sphagnum peat. It looks like you've got it in some sort of weird gravel there - not good.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast