What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf cuttings

How long do they usually take to produce baby plants? I've had the bottoms of mine buried in moist peat for about two weeks, and I don't see anything.

In my experience.. when you figure that you have completely failed and are starting to think about tossing the whole thing... about a week later they sprout.. lol

I did this once.. I don't remember whether it worked or not.. but I do know it takes several weeks. It depends.

EDIT: When you took the leaf, did it have any petiole matter at the base? (The white part) That needs to be there for it to work.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mannex17 @ May 13 2005,8:55)]How long do they usually take to produce baby plants? I've had the bottoms of mine buried in moist peat for about two weeks, and I don't see anything.
That 2 weeks probably feels like 2 months - right?
confused.gif

As VFT guy said, when you quit looking (or caring a whole lot), it will appear.

What's that saying about a 'watched pot'?

This concept works for any 'new type' cutting. I remember my 1st cephalotus cutting seemed to take forever. I've recently taken my 1st Drosera petiolaris complex cuttings and they are taking forever....

The names change but the concept is the same...
smilie4.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]EDIT: When you took the leaf, did it have any petiole matter at the base? (The white part) That needs to be there for it to work.
How is this done? Do you just peel off an outside leaf? Also, what are the risk?
confused.gif

To make a VFT leaf-cutting, you firmly grasp a leaf by the petiole, and with a downward tug (making sure to hold the mother plant down so it isn't pulled out of the pot!) pull the leaf off of the base, making sure to get some of the whitish rhizome on the bottom of it. Take the cutting, and set it in some sphagnum peat, with the white bottom covered with soil. After a few weeks (or months, years...) baby plantlets will appear from the base of the cutting.

The only problem I've had so far is when I pulled off a dead leaf, the base was a big part of the rhizome, and I took about 60% of the roots with it. The plants seem to be doing okay though.

Well, you need to pull a leaf loose so that it's left with some of the rhizome attached. The Savage Garden says to use a downward tug, but I've also been told to rock the leaf back and forth, around the axis of the plant, so that it peels off to one side or the other. I don't think it poses much risk to a mature plant with many leaves, but I wouldn't do it to anything thats not a few years old and mature enough to flower.
~Joe

That technique actually sounds less risky. I'll have to try it sometime.

What they said.

How much white stuff do you need? I did not get much.
smile_h_32.gif

Any is fine.

Do you need to put them in a well-lit place or will a shaded area be ok?

Hmmmm... I think as long as there is some sun, eventually increasing to a full amount of full sun, it should be good.

This little guy is two weeks old. I have him under florescent light. This is the one I said had very little white meat on it. The trap is even starting to open.

untitled.jpg

*stares through monitor glass like someone staring through nursery glass at newborn babies*

Stop it Flytrapgurl, you're getting me all misty.
biggrin.gif

Well I just did this myself but I'm wondering if anobody who did it recently in this thread had luck...

~ Brett

Planted this leaf on July 7th....Checked it September 2nd and new growth appeared.  I had checked it daily for past week so nothing the day before.  This took almost two full months to see visible growth.  Figured I'd get a something as the leaf was staying green and not rotting.  Sure took awhile though.  It's a baby "Fang" cultivar.  A little leaf that fell off when I got the parent plant so I figured no harm in trying to root it.

Fang4.jpg.JPG

Great job!

Back