Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaf cuttings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long do they usually take to produce baby plants? I've had the bottoms of mine buried in moist peat for about two weeks, and I don't see anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine took 6 weeks

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience.. when you figure that you have completely failed and are starting to think about tossing the whole thing... about a week later they sprout.. lol
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this once.. I don't remember whether it worked or not.. but I do know it takes several weeks. It depends.

EDIT: When you took the leaf, did it have any petiole matter at the base? (The white part) That needs to be there for it to work.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Mannex17 @ May 13 2005,8:55)]How long do they usually take to produce baby plants? I've had the bottoms of mine buried in moist peat for about two weeks, and I don't see anything.
    That 2 weeks probably feels like 2 months - right? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

As VFT guy said, when you quit looking (or caring a whole lot), it will appear.

What's that saying about a 'watched pot'?

This concept works for any 'new type' cutting. I remember my 1st cephalotus cutting seemed to take forever. I've recently taken my 1st Drosera petiolaris complex cuttings and they are taking forever....

The names change but the concept is the same... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]EDIT: When you took the leaf, did it have any petiole matter at the base? (The white part) That needs to be there for it to work.
    How is this done? Do you just peel off an outside leaf? Also, what are the risk? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To make a VFT leaf-cutting, you firmly grasp a leaf by the petiole, and with a downward tug (making sure to hold the mother plant down so it isn't pulled out of the pot!) pull the leaf off of the base, making sure to get some of the whitish rhizome on the bottom of it. Take the cutting, and set it in some sphagnum peat, with the white bottom covered with soil. After a few weeks (or months, years...) baby plantlets will appear from the base of the cutting.

The only problem I've had so far is when I pulled off a dead leaf, the base was a big part of the rhizome, and I took about 60% of the roots with it. The plants seem to be doing okay though.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you need to pull a leaf loose so that it's left with some of the rhizome attached. The Savage Garden says to use a downward tug, but I've also been told to rock the leaf back and forth, around the axis of the plant, so that it peels off to one side or the other. I don't think it poses much risk to a mature plant with many leaves, but I wouldn't do it to anything thats not a few years old and mature enough to flower.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast