Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wow its been a while

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime you move a plant, you may accidently disturb the roots. If that occurs, you may put the plant in shock and set ity back several days. Some plants, like pigmy sundews just plain die when being "bumped".

With a plant that is dormant, lke a VFT, that risk is next to nothing. When in the growing season, like now, the risk is significantly greater. If you have to re-pot, try to get underneath the roots and around the plant and move it as one unit to another container.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree.. unless you do something like chop off all the roots you have little or no worries from repotting at any time. Yes the plant will not grow as vigorously as it was before you repotted, but it will recover fine if given good cultivation. I repot my plants whenever they need it, regardless of dormancy.

Oh and no plastic domes needed.. just repot and plop it back where it was.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are differning schools of thought and those who have significant experience (VFT Guy in San Juanita or Pinguiculaman, etc...) know a lot of intangibles, having gone through the newbie phase successfully. Therefore, they can do just about anything at any time and do well with it. At this point, even I can take a Lowes' neglected refugee and re-pot it with no ill effects. (I just did that a few weeks ago) What i pointed out is the conservative, safe side approach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys for all the replies!! its a big big help!!
    I found two plastic pots and repotted my plants (seems like they survived)... my sundew drooped for a while, but i think that was from lack of water cause i didnt water it enough when i repotted....they're alive though...lol
    gotten rid of the domes too...lol
    again thanks guys for all the help!!
    scott
    Defying Gravity

\"I will exalt thee, O Lord, for you lift me out of the depths!\" (Psalm 30:1)

...Just keep on laughing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12