Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! dormancy or death!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm....I know other people who are keeping their VFT's and sundews in water all the time, too, and their plants look great. I wonder why I am losing mine. At this point, I am just casting about aimlessly, and trying anything because I HATE LOSING PLANTS!

PS...sorry for the double post above!
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    April, the way you see those VFT"s is NOT the way I keep them. I am just waiting for Jamie to take them all and do what he pleases, so I can get window sill space. My one and only VFT is outside, in a mini-bog. This was just winter storage, actually 2 weeks of vacation that turned into 6 months of plant-sitting. Yes, most plants do well with their respective pots sitting in a container of water - especially sundews.

What double post? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, in reply to your question. My VFT is in the same pot that I received it in. It sits on my desk in front of a large window.I drench it everyday, but drain the excess water, so it doesn't sit in it. It's in a little green pot with no lid or terranium. Indirect sun morning to noon, direct sun from non till dusk. I constantly check it's soil to make sure it's not thirsty. Since my original post, the leaves are turning orange. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kitkat, stop feeding your plant. It doesn't need the bugs in particular, and trapping them takes energy that stressed plants can't afford to spend. I keep my VFT outdoors in full sun for seven or eight hours a day, in a tray about 1/3 as deep as the soil level. I water until the tray is full and then let it dry out on it's own. I think you should maybe try the same - keep it in a shallow tray of water and let it dry out on it's own, giving the soil time to take up air in between waterings. My VFTs struggled when I kept them very wet - since giving them the alternating wet-and-dry treatment, they've become much more productive and healthy. Is there any way you can get it direct sun in the morning instead of the afternoon? It probably doesn't matter much to a healthy plant, but if yours is strained, it might benefit from getting cooler morning sunlight.
    Good luck,
    ~Joe

PS - When my VFTs started to take a dive, I not only moved them to a drier tray, I also separated the plantlets, repotted them in fresh medium, and gave them a much deeper pot, and I think this has something to do with the improvement.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the thing... My plant hasn't eaten in almost a month, that's why I'm trying to feed it. I live in an apartment, and I don't have anywhere else I can put it. For the moment, these are the best conditions I can provide. And so far, the plant has been thriving. I water it once a day like you and fill it up, and then let it drain itself.However if the water is taking a excessive amount of time , I'll manually drain it. This plant is so close to death, I'm scared if I do move it, the shock would kill it. I'm going to take a pic and put it on here, so u guys can see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way you can put it outside? That would be the best for it. One caveat, though, if there is an outside place you could use, it would be safest to put it in a shady spot at first and then gradually put it on full sun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm "Give me dormancy or give me death" I hope someone did not already say it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ June 09 2005,5:18)]Hmm "Give me dormancy or give me death" I hope someone did not already say it.
    I think it was Scottychaos. If it wasn't, it would an appropriate battlecry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast