What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potting questions

Do you layer the peat and silica sand mix or do you mix it?
I am just starting a rather crazy terrarium and I want to do the soil correctly so that they do not die when I first plant them. Thank you for your help.
smile.gif

Mix it up really well so the sand is dispersed evenly throughout the sand.

I think what dewy MEANT to say was:

Mix it up really well so the sand is dispersed evenly throughout the peat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KingDom079 @ May 26 2005,3:05)]I think what dewy MEANT to say was:

Mix it up really well so the sand is dispersed evenly throughout the peat.
Yep, that is what I meant to say.I just edited my post and spelled evenly correctly.

I use a 3-2 ratio of peat and perlite, but I cover the soil with a top layer of peat. It looks a lot more attractive than those little algea-infested perlite rocks all over the soil. With sand you should be fine though.

I'm starting to get alge in my terrarium. Is that a bad thing?

I ordered some of that Cleary stuff. Will that take care of alge?
confused.gif

don't worry about it as long as it is not killing stuff or if you are germinating seed.

you will not be able to get rid of it tottaly because it lives on the excess nutrients which are probibly caused by the microscopic organisms living in the soil which you can do nothing about.

It only seems to be growing where the sun light shines directly into the terrarium.

Algea blows. CaliforniaCarnivores sells this Physan 20 crap that they say gets rid of algea.

Whenever it gets bad enough in my pots, I pull out my plants and take a small spoon and scrape off the top layer of soil, replace with fresh soil, and repot my plants.

Yep Mannex that is what I do. Usually just fry the entire thing of soil then repot in new soil and new pot. Although I do have 1000 pots or so thanks to CactusBum

Yes, but is algea dangerous? I've had my plants 2 weeks. I can't repot once a month. Should I just let it grow?

I ended up using 50/50 Canadian Sphagnum peat (Shulz) and Perlite mixed thoroughly; then icing it with LFS (dead) around the crowns. It looks good.

I would think the algea would be fine. Any way you could get a picture of it for us to look at?

Back