What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re potting help with a monster

ez all

i have a south west giant the i aquired from littleshopofhorrors.com

the only problem is that its massive now but only has a tiny little pot the plant has started flowering and the flower stem is over a foot long now and the trap arms are really long

im sure it needs repotting but am unsure what soil i need to use im in the uk so any idea of what to get and where from would be great

i will post a pic if that helps

cheers

Hi divapour and welcome to the forums! If it were me, I would prepare a new, larger plastic pot with a well-rinsed mix of peat & sand, topdressed with rinsed LFS. I would form a hole in the center, large enough to acommodate the entire plant and media from the existing pot and place, as one unit the whole thing into the carved out hole. I would water from above to help fill in around it.

Do you have any other questions? Terminology? Feel free to ask.

VFTs can thrive in surprisingly small containers. While I'm sure it does need repotting, you may want to wait until the plant goes dormant to try it. The benefit of being in a larger pot is likely to be more than offset by teh shock to the roots, and VFTs tend to deeply resent having their roots messed with during the growing season.

Whatever you decide on, good luck!

cheers for the help guys im not sure to repot or wait till it lies dormant when will this happen???

and when u say a well rinsed mix what do you mean by that and what is lfs

i think i will take a pic to show you

By well-rinsed I mean taking a bucket or stariner or whatever and filling it with the media and then running water over it, kneading it, letting the dirt be drained or poured out, until the dust and whatever is removed.

LFS is long-fibred sphagnum moss. It is often sold in garden centres in bags, dried.

I'd recommend reading the care sheet stickied at the top of this forum. It'll give you more VFT info than you ever wanted to know
biggrin.gif

Back