User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vft flowers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was Bob Z. who posted some VFT photos earlier this year (or last?) that showed some of the VFT flowers demonstrate some significant variability. Before he posted a photo of a VFT 'wacky traps' flower, I hadn't really inspected the blooms too closely.

Today, I was out making some crosses amongst my friends and remembered Bob's photos.

This is a VFT 'Blood Red' flower (or at least that's what it was supposed to be - hasn't had red traps yet...) Notice the deep lobes on the petals.

This is a VFT 'Fused tooth' flower. Notice that the petals are thinner and more widely spaced than the next one. (Sorry about the missing stamens - they were used elsewhere... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] )

This is a VFT 'Red dragon'. The petals on this flower seemed to be representative of the size/shape of most of the other flowers.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is interesting that the stigma of your 'Red Dragon' does not have the characteristic red stigma that all of my 'Red Dragon' plants have.

However, about a year ago, I received another 'Red Dragon' plant that flowered this spring and it did not have a red stigma.

My 'Red Dragon' F2 plants have a red stigma

as does 'Red Piranha'

'Royal Red'

and "Green Dragon"

All of my other VFT clones have non-red stigmas. Interesting, huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The F2 plant's stigma is amazingly strong/deep red.

I'm glad you brought this up because I do have another Red Dragon that does have a red stigma (that I received recently from a different source). It only has one flower open so far & I was wondering if it was a fluke since the others weren't red.

So where's the photo of your 'new' 'wacky traps' flower??
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ June 16 2005,4:30)]The F2 plant's stigma is amazingly strong/deep red.

So where's the photo of your 'new' 'wacky traps' flower??
    The stigma color is always a brighter (more concentrated) red before the stigma opens (matures).

My "Wacky Traps" plant is still too small to flower. There is always next year. The only flower photo that I have ever seen of "Wacky Traps" AKA "Bart Simpson" is that single photo of Ed Read's. I did get an email from Stefan Ploszak that said:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I don't have a clear image of the "bart simpson" flower. I can confirm that Ed's photo is 100% accurate. Worth noting is that the stigma is very reduced and even absent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put together a Web page of flowers of 20 VFT cultivars that I am growing.
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zph...T_Flowers.html

To fill out this "photo essay", I would like to add flower photos of other cultivars, for those willing to allow me to use them (with full disclosure of and attribution to owner, of course).

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 'Red Dragon' stigma has no red.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This picture is a year old, but here is my smallest vft to flower, it was a seedling that produced a flower with 12 petals, if I can recall, it had two of everything, including 2 stigmas that were deformed...

I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062