Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need advice quick or my vft is a gonner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Buggy, the poor fella is from Kansas, the land of Toto and Dorothy. At least he didn't plant it in that good red Oklahoma dirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ssgrock,

Just one more bit of advice that may be helpful. You must remember that the plant has been indoors for lord knows how long, without any sunlight. You have to adjust the plant slowly to full direct sun. It's like you going out in the sun and getting sunburned. Start off with a few days of indirect sun, gradually increasing the time of direct sunlight.
    Good luck!
    there is a pleasure in being mad, which only a madman can enjoy!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums!

Water: rain, store-bought distilled, reverse osmosis, and deionized. Most likely the distilled water will be most accessible.

Soil media: Home Depot & Lowes sell sphagnum peat, probably the Canadian peat. Also purchase LFS, which is the dried long fibred sphagnum sold in rectangular bags. Sand is another media, but i would go to a typical pool filter supply place and get a bag of their sand. I wouldn't recommend the various play sand being offered. What I do is mix sand and peat and top off with the LFS. All soil media must be rinsed well of whatever. Many people use a big bucket. Just add media and water and then knead it. Dump the water when thoroughly saturated. Do it again. Some people also microwave the media.

The advice directly above me is dead-on correct. It nay have been too much too fast. Gradual acclimation is the way to go with these plants, especially when from a garden center.

VFT's do very well when outside and kept moist. Don't cover the plant, as that will create a mini-greenhouse effect and that will also cause blackened traps and death.

Then there's dormancy....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I repotted my VFT in a plastic container with drain holes, I have replaced the cactus potting mix with 1/3 perlite and 2/3 peat moss. Started using botteld water as well. Also placed it in an area where it will get a little bit of shade during the day, I put the plastic container in a base plate filled with water too. And just for good measure I fed it a wood louse to see if the nutrients would pep it up. So far so good.

Bugweed, gimme a break bucko. I did something compulsive and bought the thing at Wal-Mart with no research....guilty as charged. But I do want the freakin thing to live, or I wouldn't have taken the time to register on this DB. I have since I posted asking about how to care for my VFT read quite a bit about the care of VFTs, and I'm confident that my VFT will flourish. I do have quite a green thumb, I can grow anything, but a cp is something I'd had no previous experience with. Look forward to posting pics in the future of this VFT that was brought back from the brink of death only to become the biggest, baddest VFT in Kansas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ssgrock @ June 20 2005,9:55)]Started using botteld water as well.
    Not necessarily a good thing. Make sure you get distilled bottled water. Regular drinking water and spring water are high in minerals... not good. The best thing to do is collect rain water. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Oh... and welcome!
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Distilled water would be best. CP's are actually pretty easy if you just keep that in mind.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about filling a container with tap water and letting it age? I heard somewhere that the chemicals rise to the top and evaporate out. But just in case, I'll pick up some distilled water today.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast