Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need advice quick or my vft is a gonner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope, that won't work. Leaving water to set out won't get rid of the minerals in it. They don't evaporate(as I'm sure you're aware), but the water does, so you'd essentially be making the water /worse/ for use in CP cultivation.....
    Growlist

We are perishing for want of wonder, not for want of wonders.
    - G.K. Chesterton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ssgrock @ June 20 2005,11:52)]What about filling a container with tap water and letting it age? I heard somewhere that the chemicals rise to the top and evaporate out. But just in case, I'll pick up some distilled water today.
    Letting tap water sit in an open container will allow chlorine to gas-out, but it has no effect on disolved minerals. I live in an area where the dissolved minerals in my tap water is very low and I have used it on my CPs for 30 years. In many areas (and perhaps Kansas), the water is hard and not suitable for CPs. You can probably get a water quality report from your local water utility that will tell you the concentration of dissolved minerals. In the meantime, distilled or rain water is your best bet.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure Walmart or any typical grocery store will have gallon jugs of distilled water, for ~50 cents a gallon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's where I buy all of my distilled. A good website for reading about VFT's is http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html. That place is chock full of info, but the author makes it seem tougher than it is to keep a VFT. Maybe it's to scare the newbies into paying attention! Good luck with your new little buddy. I hope he gets well soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tap water here in Kansas must be okay, I've been using it to water my VFT and it has grown two new leaves with small traps forming on the ends in the last week. So the tap water here must be within the VFTs mineral tolerance level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be so quick to decide if your tap water is OK. It takes time for minerals to build up in the soil. If you water by the tray method and let the water evaporate before adding more water, mineral build-up can become a problem and eventually the mineral accumulation will kill the plant. If you water from the top and let the water run through the pot, mineral build-up will be slower because some of the accumulated minerals get flushed from the soil.

Unless you get a water quality report that shows very low mineralization in your tap water, use rain water or distilled water. I have used tap water from the Humboldt Bay District (California) for decades. I usually let the tap water sit in an open container for a day so the chlorine can gas-off. The hardness of this water ranges from 72-89 mg CaCO3/L and sodium is 4.4 ppm. This has been OK for long-term use on my plants, but when I water I flood the pot and let excess drainage run onto the ground. In addition, every spring I repot my plants and discard the old soil.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that bad water kills the roots of the plant first, not the leaves, so if the leaves are just starting to show stress, your plant's roots could have already rotted away. Plants don't metabolize quite as fast as most animals, so our common sense about poisoning for critters can't be applied to plants. It could take months for hard water to kill your plant, but it will, eventually. It's not worth the risk, really - distilled or reverse osmosis water is super cheap, and rainwater is free. Would you rather replace your plant every month for $6, or your water every month for $1?
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's just no reason not to get distilled water or rain water and yet still complain about the plant. If you resist using the suggestions of the highly knowledgeable growers here, you'll find that they will be far less likely to help when the plant eventually starts to succumb to the buildup of minerals the plant can't handle. Distilled water is virtually if not literally the same price as bottled water and as stated numerous times above, rainwater is free. If you care enough about your plant to post here and ask for help, just make one more tiny effort to give it the best chance possible. In addition to the great resources given above, I would check out the ********** Care Page which comes with every plant sold from the owners of this website. Anyway... I hope you decide to use rainwater or distilled and read the care sheets. Good luck!

~ Brett

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast