Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need advice quick or my vft is a gonner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    according to the USGS, most of Kansas has very hard water.
    the highest levels.
    and the east side of Kansas isnt super-soft either..
    dont use Kansas tap water anywhere..its all no good for CPs.

if your plant still seems "ok" it isnt because the water is ok..
    its only because the hardness hasnt built up enough yet to kill the plant...but it will.
    a week or two, even a month or two, isnt long enough to judge if the water is ok..
    and based on the USGS hardness info, it isnt ok...

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Patterns of hardness in the United States are shown on the map of accounting units at the bottom of the figure. Softest waters were in parts of the New England, South Atlantic-Gulf, Pacific Northwest, and Hawaii regions. Moderately hard waters were common in many of the rivers of the Tennessee, Great Lakes, Pacific Northwest, and Alaska regions. Hard and very hard waters were found in some of the streams in most of the regions throughout the country. Hardest waters (greater than 1,000 mg/L) were measured in streams in Texas, New Mexico, Kansas, Arizona, and southern California.
    http://water.usgs.gov/owq/map1.jpeg

http://water.usgs.gov/owq/Explanation.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ssgrock, Give you a break, bucko? Forget that. From what I have seen and read so far, you don't follow directions.
    As clear as it can be made. NO TAP WATER!!!
    NOT Bottled
    NOT Purified
    NOT Drinking water!
    DISTILLED, REVERSE OSMOSIS, or RAINWATER ONLY!!! Following this so far? If you cannot follow the simplest direction, then do not grow these plants. Tap water will kill these plants, especially the mineral rich water in the mid-west. If you expect the plant to live, then follow the directions given you, or prepare to watch your plant die. Flush that pot with distilled water as soon as you can. ANY minerals you have given your VFT by foolishly hoping it would be ok to water it in the wrong manner, need to be flushed out of the pot. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS if you want the plant to flourish, or ask yourself why you bother coming here if you won't listen. Shortcuts in the care of your plant just might kill it dead, dead, dead!!!!! No, I will not give you a break, anymore than I will give myself a break.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really, they are very simple to care for. distilled water is only about 50 or 60 cents per gallon which will last you a long time with only one plant. If you read bugweeds signature it says he's been growing for 43 years, so he knows what he's talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I have about 6 plants, and one gallon of distilled water lasts me a whole week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]DISTILLED, REVERSE OSMOSIS, or RAINWATER ONLY!!!
    He is right. That is all I have to say about that. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you're lucky enough to work in a laboratory - deionized water. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heeded the advice, thanks to those of you that took pity on me regarding my compulsive purchase of a VFT without doing the proper research. I'm sure bugweed will be releived to know that my one man effort to drive the VFT into extinction has failed. I repotted my VFT in a large plastic pot with drain holes, place the pot in a 2 inch deep base plate that is constantly filled with distilled water. I have been watering my VFT with distilled water for a couple weeks or so, I also used a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio of peat moss to perlite mixture. The black edges that were appearing on the traps have gone away and I have noted three of four new leaves have sprouted. I fed it a wood louse about two weeks ago. Haven't fed it an insect since. I've waterd it every other day and left it alone, it seems to be doing just grand. I have it outside under my deck where it gets partial sun. Its been pretty hot here in Kansas the last week or so, mid ninties, bright sun, and hot. But the location seems to be fine. So, thanks for the good advice and patience with me. So far, so good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to here it. I hope you post back with any new questions that arise.

~ Brett

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast