Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need advice quick or my vft is a gonner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every single VFT I've ever had...has died. And they were heartbreakingly beautiful plants, too. I did the research. I water with only distilled or rain water. I used a mix of peat and leveling sand(rinsed 4 times). I've put them in full sun, I've put them in part sun(I get conflicting advice from really knowledgeable people on this issue). And still, they die. I give up. I don't like killing things, or, having them die on my watch. I may try one more time, and pot two of the dang things in straight LFS, and keep one in full sun, and one in part shade. I don't think they're that easy, I just think you guys are very talented!

I thought I had a green thumb until I met my first VFT! Aprilh
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They really must be easy because all I do really is water them with distilled water and give them a bug maybe twice a year since they're on my windowsill receiving partial light. Oh yea - I got them at PFT so I already knew the plants were genetically strong and their medium perfect. If you do try again good luck and tell us what happens.

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (aprilh @ July 11 2005,3:48)]Every single VFT I've ever had...has died. And they were heartbreakingly beautiful plants, too. I did the research. I water with only distilled or rain water. I used a mix of peat and leveling sand(rinsed 4 times). I've put them in full sun, I've put them in part sun(I get conflicting advice from really knowledgeable people on this issue). And still, they die. I give up. I don't like killing things, or, having them die on my watch. I may try one more time, and pot two of the dang things in straight LFS, and keep one in full sun, and one in part shade. I don't think they're that easy, I just think you guys are very talented!

I thought I had a green thumb until I met my first VFT! Aprilh
    must be the sand then..
    thats the only variable that no one else uses!
    (no one else uses your particular sand I mean...probably something in it.)

try again without the sand..
    use straight LFS or straight peat..
    I never saw the point of using sand myself..
    I tried it once, 50/50 peat/sand.
    made a very dense, heavy, solid mix..I didnt like it.
    will never use sand again..no reason for it.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just consider myself a wannabe backyard grower and I thought the exact same thing about VFTs. Then I bought a few from this resource and did one thing that I never did on earlier attempts at growing VFTs... I didn't mess with them. I know that's a real dumb story but so far it's been working, as crazy as it sounds. Don't get me wrong... I'm dying to race outside and check them every hours thinking 'anything new, anything happen, you guys OK?'. Of all my last 8 million attempts of growing VFTs the longest I've been able to keep a plant was 2 weeks. I'm on the first month and they're growing like crazy. I guess sometimes it's best to not worry. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scupbucket, you sound like you are on the right track. YOU can definately find all the info. you need here to keep your plants alive. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help, Scotty. I will buy some common VFTs and see if I can get them to grow in straight peat and straight LFS. Partial sun and full sun. I really like them, they're very pretty plants. And useful! Between the S. Purpurea and the VFT's that I had..they could make a dent in the earwig population!
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, per chance has any one happened to notice what the Schultz Professional Cactus & Succulent Potting mix ingredients are these days? The ingredients are listed in the lower left hand corner of the back of the bag.
    http://www.schultz.com/ProductCatego...ts/CactusSoil/
    If you are in shock after reading the ingredients straight from the bag, please take a moment to call their customer service number at 314.298.2700 and ask one of their customer service agents to verify the ingredients. This is what will be read to you from the bag:
    This product is regionally formulated from 28%-38% reed-sedge peat, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, & washed sand.

Definitely not a product in which any one would want to even attempt to try to grow a cactus in my humble opinion but I bet there is a succulent out there that might have a fighting chance.

I was under the impression that any type of sphagnum peat was superior to reed-sedge peat for a multitude of reasons but I doubt his VFT would have croaked in that mix that I can't believe is marketed for cacti. His plant was probably in transplant shock and that takes a bit of time to recover from. Personally, I prefer Canadian Peat because it generally has a lower pH. I do add rinsed sand to my mix.

Welcome to the forums ssgrock. And I do mean that sincerely as do the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My BFT seems to being doing okay. Still, I'm experiencing some anxiety, in that the traps of my VFT seem to rather rapidly turn black around the edges, the blackness spreads to the whole trap in a matter of a few days, but I also see new growth on the inside portion of the plant. Is this normal? I would like to get it to grow larger. I was wondering, how large could it get? And should I be concerned over the rather rapid die off and re-growth of the stems and traps?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast