Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Identify that cultivar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have a patio or anything? These plants really love full sun. I don't know anything about artificial grow lights.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a patio, but it is shady, and I have also lost some things out there... They apparently grew legs and walked away while I was at work. So the only things I have out there now are a potting bench and grill that are chained down and a whiskey barrel of aloe that is too heavy to move.

In order to get the VTFs into full sun outside, I would have to sit them in the grass, off my patio, and then they would probably either get stolen, or the lawn service might run them over. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] They damaged the last pot (plastic) I had the aloe in with their weed-whacker, hence the move to a heavier whiskey barrel.

I'm considering wintering the VTFs on the potting bench this fall as I doubt anyone would want to take ugly dead-looking plants and we have mild winters here. But I don't dare leave pretty, healthy CPs out there to the abuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got back a picture of my mystery cultivar! I know the color is rather sickly on the poor thing, but I took that photo the day after the "Wally-world" rescue. The plantlets it produced are healthier than it is...

That trap is about 1/2" long, and on a summer petiole 2-1/2" long, to give you an idea of size/proportion...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be a dente form once called jaws. However, VFT cultivars are not my forte' though raising them is easy. Sunlight plays a large role in how they color up, but it is not necessarily full sun on the plant that brings the color out.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With more research I have to agree with both Bugweed and Mannex! It is probably either 'Jaws' or 'Red Pirahna'. Both are members of the 'Dentate Traps' cultivar group. But I really can't tell which yet, and the cultivar descriptions on the ICPS site aren't detailed enough to tell them apart.

Anyone know where there is a good photo reference for either or both of these cultivars? Being a visual person, I really appreciate good photos!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ June 25 2005,6:25)]Anyone know where there is a good photo reference for either or both of these cultivars? Being a visual person, I really appreciate good photos!
    Try
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Dionaea.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Great link, thanks, BobZ!

After looking over the TONS of photos linked to on that site, I will conclude my VFT is a 'Jaws'. 'Red Pirahna' has red petioles, which mine has not shown at all. And 'Sharks Teeth' while a theoretical option, shows so much variability in the posted photos, I got the idea it isn't really very well standardized, but generally has longer 'teeth' on the traps than mine has.

Thanks a ton, all! And BTW, although the trap I photographed died, new traps with a much healthier look are now emerging, so I think it survived it's ordeal in Wally-heck. Yeah! All three plantlets look good as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty much near 100% that it is a dente, Jaws is still a plant that is spread around by growers and not mass produced in nusery's. Still a great find though! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast