Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Identify that cultivar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have a patio or anything? These plants really love full sun. I don't know anything about artificial grow lights.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a patio, but it is shady, and I have also lost some things out there... They apparently grew legs and walked away while I was at work. So the only things I have out there now are a potting bench and grill that are chained down and a whiskey barrel of aloe that is too heavy to move.

In order to get the VTFs into full sun outside, I would have to sit them in the grass, off my patio, and then they would probably either get stolen, or the lawn service might run them over. They damaged the last pot (plastic) I had the aloe in with their weed-whacker, hence the move to a heavier whiskey barrel.

I'm considering wintering the VTFs on the potting bench this fall as I doubt anyone would want to take ugly dead-looking plants and we have mild winters here. But I don't dare leave pretty, healthy CPs out there to the abuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got back a picture of my mystery cultivar! I know the color is rather sickly on the poor thing, but I took that photo the day after the "Wally-world" rescue. The plantlets it produced are healthier than it is...

That trap is about 1/2" long, and on a summer petiole 2-1/2" long, to give you an idea of size/proportion...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be a dente form once called jaws. However, VFT cultivars are not my forte' though raising them is easy. Sunlight plays a large role in how they color up, but it is not necessarily full sun on the plant that brings the color out.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With more research I have to agree with both Bugweed and Mannex! It is probably either 'Jaws' or 'Red Pirahna'. Both are members of the 'Dentate Traps' cultivar group. But I really can't tell which yet, and the cultivar descriptions on the ICPS site aren't detailed enough to tell them apart.

Anyone know where there is a good photo reference for either or both of these cultivars? Being a visual person, I really appreciate good photos!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ June 25 2005,6:25)]Anyone know where there is a good photo reference for either or both of these cultivars? Being a visual person, I really appreciate good photos!
    Try
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Dionaea.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Great link, thanks, BobZ!

After looking over the TONS of photos linked to on that site, I will conclude my VFT is a 'Jaws'. 'Red Pirahna' has red petioles, which mine has not shown at all. And 'Sharks Teeth' while a theoretical option, shows so much variability in the posted photos, I got the idea it isn't really very well standardized, but generally has longer 'teeth' on the traps than mine has.

Thanks a ton, all! And BTW, although the trap I photographed died, new traps with a much healthier look are now emerging, so I think it survived it's ordeal in Wally-heck. Yeah! All three plantlets look good as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty much near 100% that it is a dente, Jaws is still a plant that is spread around by growers and not mass produced in nusery's. Still a great find though!
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast