Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with some questions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed that the link was wrong. Try http://www.outrageousatv.com/vft

Aslo StifflerMichael, The 2 lower pics are individual pots filled in with rocks to look like a bog. The top pic is all sphagnum with some perlite.
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scupbucket and welcome to the forums! VFT's do best when outside. They need lotsa sunlight.

You're fom WNY?! I lived in Buffalo for ~20 years. Go Bills! It sounds ad if you are near Fredonia or Dunkirk. Welcome aboard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the good info folks. I can tell I found a good spot to discuss VFTs. I think I'm going ot try to grow outdoors but not cancel the idea of indoor growing if the ourdoor route fails. I really like Humungus's indoor bog as I'll probably become more interested in different species down the road and it would actually look nice in my house. Jimscott, yep I'm about 20 min. north of Fredonia in Derby and like I said before it would be a sin to not put these guys (properly named Gene, Ace, and Paul... Peter coming soon) outdoors as the weather has been incredible for growing. Has anyone tried rigging something like a hood or small shelter to avoid flooding the pots out during heavy raining?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to Derby numerous times. There used to be a pet shop called Custom Aquarium there.

One thing I do to shield the plants during a deluge is to put them up against the building. There are also shrubs that partially block the heavy rain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice. I set the typicals outside last night. Go figure... once I set them outside it's been overcast but I figure that'll give them some time to get used to the outdoors and not burn up. For some protection I took out the bottom panel of an old small animal cage and set them elevated (in case of heavy rain) in a water tray. For protection against heavy raindrops I just placed a screen over top. When the big mouths show up I'm going to grow 2 out and 3 inside and do some comparing. I'd like to get some photos up soon. Awesome site.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plastic screening would be a preferable choice over a metal one, as it is possible for the metal to get into the plants. Other that, good job!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is platic Is this a new form of light reflecting plastic?
    I got to get some..Hehe
    What method of hardening off works good I have some under a 400w MH but they are some distance away 3 to 4 feet from the bulb. They may do better outside. No
    Thanks for any info Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice about the screen. It is a metal screen but with a plastic coating so I'm not sure what'll happen as far as metal getting into the plants but as a precaution I just might get rid of it and find another means for protection from heavy rain. I must say though, 2 days outside and the traps are already growing fast and starting to show a slight red hue. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast