Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with some questions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all. I've been crazy for VFTs since I was a little kid. My mom would buy some, I'd basically torture it for a week, not knowing proper care, then it would die. I'm a bit wiser, so I think, and would like to begin seriously growing. I've recently purchased 6 typical plants and 5 of the 'big mouth' variety. The typicals are doing OK but desperately need a better light source and the 'big mouth' guys will be in transit. So far I've read, and completely agree that outdoor growing is the best way to properly grow VFTs although I know many have had great success with indoor growing. However, I'm still timid to do so for several reasons. First, I live in the Buffalo vicinity by Lake Erie. Our recent weather has been optimal for VFT growing (high humidity, full sun, 85-90 degree weather) but I'm worried about some t-storms in the area producing high winds. Has anyone had trouble with a blown over collection or plants that have been flooded to death? Second, I love the neighborhood's kids like crazy, and with one of my own... a curious little 1.5 year old, there's going to be high traffic in my yard at times. Of course I'll give them a little lesson on what kind of plants they are and how to properly let them grow undisturbed but knowing how I was as a kid I'd have those suckers ripped up in a heart beat eating up my GI Joe figs. These are a few factors that I know would be avoided by growing indoors but I want to grow these to their full potential (a sungrown 'big mouth' is absolutely breathtaking). Does anyone have pics of an enclosure or elevated growing system they use? OK, I'm getting longwinded. Thanks in advance and I'm very excited about finally getting serious about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can grow your plants under fluorescents inside as long as you place the fluorescents within an inch or two from the VFT. The only thing you will need to remember about growing indoors is that they will need dormancy yearly. Good luck and happy growing.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got these in this past week.

I got these a month ago.

I have more pics at http://www.outrageousatv.com/vft They are greener than this crappy camera makes them look.
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lord Humungus @ June 27 2005,10:03)]I got these in this past week.

I got these a month ago.

I have more pics at http://www.outrageousatv.com They are greener than this crappy camera makes them look.
    You might want to move the grow lights a little closer as your VFTs look like they are sending up tall leaves trying to reach the light source. Other than that, your VFTs look very healthy.
    Dewy
    My grow list/want list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That tall reaching growth is why I bought the lights. I'm starting to see brighter colors and less reaching. Hopefully this change will continue.
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, now I see how the new leaves are becoming more compact. Thanks for bringing this up to me.
    dewy
    My grow list/want list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scupbucket if you grow in a terrarium the kids can marvel at your plants and they wont mess with them either.I suppose they still could just take the lid off and still get to em but just make sure they get the idea that they shouldnt be touched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have had pretty good luck growing VFTs in terraria. Although I grow them individually in separate pots instead of the bog garden from dewy's posts. This year, I had good coloration and trap size with my 'green dragon' (which has a lot of red). Frankly though, they do better outside, and feed themselves mostly [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast