What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A newly sprouted vft....

baby%20fvt.jpg

Sprouted after three weeks......is this a baby FVT or a weed??
Looks non-lethal for now.  First of about 24 seeds to sprout...picture shows it a week old.  2nd seed to sprout just did so today. Waiting for about twenty others to sprout.

Looks good. Hope it's not a weed!

Its not a clear enough picture to tell for absolute sure, but it looks like a VFT to me.

Congrats!
biggrin.gif

Looks like a VFT seed coat hanging on to the bottom cotyledon to me, so I'll say it's a VFT seedling.

Yeah looks like a VFT to me too. An easy check is if it isn't a full grown weed tomorrow it is a VFT. I have some VFTs from seed that are a year old and they don't seem much bigger than that at times (they are bigger than that tho).:p

Even if it is a weed, letting it grow for awhile wouldn't hurt things. Just wait until it becomes apparent.

fvt%2001jul05.jpg

Here's a newer picture...starting to look like a tiny trap leaf coming from the side....the seed pod still stuck on end of one leaf.  Photo 13 days since first germinated.  And that's as close as my Canon A40 lets me get...

The second one looks less saturated than the first! Don't let your seedling rot in waterlogged conditions.

Thanks for the tip Alvin....I put holes in the plastic pots for drainage as they had none. I have the pots sitting in water about 1 inch deep. Four more seeds were noted to have germinated today.  The seeds were planted on May 28th (just when I was thinking how much longer do I wait)......Now I have the vft I bought from our local food store, the two babies that were in pot with it (which was why I picked it), the one that I posted the photos of nearly sprouted, the one that germinated about a week after it, and then these four.....nine!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (curlingguy @ July 07 2005,10:26)]Four more seeds were noted to have germinated today. The seeds were planted on May 28th (just when I was thinking how much longer do I wait)......
VFT seeds tend to continue to germinate for a long time. I have had fresh seeds begin to germinate within a couple of weeks after sowing and kept finding seeds continuing to germinate in that pot for over a year.

Here's a recent photo taken aug 6th- the seed still stuck on the one leaf........
seed%20grown1.jpg

How long do they stay so small?

-Rail

Here's a recent picture taken when I repotted the little guy.  I have two seeds that sprouted at same time so c/b one or the other- but you get the idea as to growth and size.
Seed%20Grown-Repotting-%20Green.JPG

Back