What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft glutton

OK... my typicals are growing like crazy outside but I live right down the road from Lake Erie (awesome conditions for growing lately). Add that to living in a wooded area and naturally you get TONS of bugs. Needless to say the VFTs are doing their job and very well... a little too well I'm afraid. Is it possible for a VFT to overeat? Just about every other trap on my plants has a dead bug in it. Is this bad for the plants or slow growth due to the amount of energy used for digestion?

I think you have nothing to worry about. Like others say, in the wild they catch as much as they can and without any outside interference. Your plants should be fine.

You can't overfeed them. As long as they're getting lots of sun they'll have the energy they need.

Hard to add anything to that! They are doing great, so don't rock their boat!

Thx for the advice. It's pretty cool to see some of the bugs they've snacked on. I just wish I was around to see them get caught!

I'm still trying to figure out how mine keep catching daddy long leg spiders... All 8 legs sticking out of the trap, yet the body is in.

LOL. That's an amusing mental picture. I've always considered spiders of all types to be good neighbors. Anything that eats mosquitos is a friend of mine! The largest thing any of my VFTs ever caught was a pillbug.

Mine also catches daddy-long-legs. I would prefer that they catch my mud-daubers, though!

Back