Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scotts peat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I know for sure is what they used to be like 10 years ago. Maybe complaints reached their ears, and they changed their way of doing peat. Many in our CP society all complained of dead plants because of Scotts. If Scotts has since changed their peat moss to 100% sphagnum, with no ill effects on anyones plants, give it a shot. I have not used Scott's for 15 years.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm well, I went to lowes today and they still didnt have any of the peat I bought in, but I still haven't opened this bag of scotts peat moss. The bag does say 100 Sphag peat, but you guys have me afraid to use it now. I want to give my sarr seeds every chance to grow, not to mention I have PLANTS on the way. EEEEgads I need to do something in the next few days. LOL Thanks everyone
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Home Depot. They have the bags of Canadian peat as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this is where I got this bag of scotts peat from and from what I remember it was the only kind mine had. I might have to go check again though and take this bag back. I hope I still have the recipt. LOL Thanks
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, all Lowe's had was the Miracle-Gro peat. I got the Scott's at H.D. as that was the only other choice I had without a roadtrip to another city. The canadian stuff Lowe's have here is all LFS, not sphagnum peat. And only in bales so large I couldn't store them! So I guess for a little while I'm stuck.

Let's call this the great experiment (homage to Jim!). I'll post updates on my plants. We'll see if Scott's has improved over the last few years, or if it's still rotten. Perhaps my cutting it with the LFS will help. But we'll see if the Ping and Byblis seeds I've planted recently germinate at all... And how well or poorly the others are doing.

For reference sake, all my plants (except for the seeds) were Lowe's/Walmart rescues, or mailed from Jimscott. They were all alive, though their conditions varied from excellent (Jim's plants) to poor (walmart). They are 'tray water' method, and under artificial lights. I use only distilled, RO, or rainwater. The ones I've had longest were purchased in May. Those have generally improved in condition from the time of purchase. My Lowe's ping even bloomed recently.

For what I'm growing, see my growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you rinse the heck out of it if you use it. I'd microwave it and rinse it several times.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiosity what does rinsing the peat do? besides get the brown water phase out? Still new here LOL
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last post was made from the road, it's Renfair/convention season for me, so I'm away from home half the week. I got home to find half my terrarium was overrun by algae *again*! I just cleaned out the whole kaboodle, pots, terrarium, and all last week! I didn't replace all the pot media though, just the top layers on the worst afflicted plants. My mistake!

Experiment is officially over before it begins! Everything is getting scrubbed out today again, and every afflicted pot will now be cleaned out and completely new media put in. All water will be totally replaced.

Given the general bad reports for the Scott's peat, I'm gonna dump it in the flower bed outside. I'll just move all my CPs to pure LFS. I'll wet down the new LFS and microwave it before adding it to the pots to keep it from sprouting and overwhelming the smaller plants. I'll carefully rinse all the plants to keep them from carrying the algae over. I hate algae! Grrr.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast