What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquafina

I got a question.Is all bottled water bad for these plants or just the ones that say "enhanced with minerals for taste"? I ask because Aquafina says on the back "purified by state of the art hydro-7 reverse osmosis". So is it good to use?

Maybe. Some bottled water has salt added to it for taste; I definitely think that such salinated water would be no good. You should see if you can't find a grocery store with a reverse osmosis unit; many stores nowadays vend RO water in bulk, and it's much more affordable than bottled water.
Best luck,
~Joe

You could have a conductivity test done on it.
Stephen

Well I believe that they have to put somewhere on the bottle what minerals are in it and that there are minerals,aquafina dosnt have either.Sdeering how do you test it for minerals?

I do recommend the grocery-store RO units. It's MUCH cheaper than Aquafina, unless you work somewhere you can get it for cheap/free!
smile_n_32.gif

My local grocery has an RO unit, and if you bring in your own (clean) jugs, it is only 33 cents (US) per gallon. It is 58 cents per gallon to buy a new gallon. This is versus 60-70 cents per gallon for buying commercial distilled by the gallon, and $1.00 per liter (or more) for the bottled water.

I don't know where/how you would do a mineral test or how much it would cost.

In the meantime, your local grocery stores should gallon jugs of distilled water. From what have read, bottled water shouldn't be used.

I just found out that my mom can get de-ionized water at her work so that solves that problem! Ill probbly overhead water on my plants for awhile to flush out minerals just to be on the safe side.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ July 18 2005,9:36)]My local grocery has an RO unit, and if you bring in your own (clean) jugs, it is only 33 cents (US) per gallon. It is 58 cents per gallon to buy a new gallon. This is versus 60-70 cents per gallon for buying commercial distilled by the gallon, and $1.00 per liter (or more) for the bottled water.
Distilled water at my grocery store costs $1.29 a gallon.

Can you collect rain water?

I pay .99 cents for a gallon of distilled water. I tried bottled drinking water for awhile, but didn't want to take the chance of trace minerals getting to my VFT. I think they are pretty sensitive to minerals. I made the switch to distilled water, moved my VFT out of direct sun, and it bounced back from the brink of death and is now flourishing.

When I was a kid there was a lot of concern about acid rain. I don't hear about that anymore (not sure why not), but there's a lot of smog where I live now.

So, although I've never heard anything indicating that its not, I wonder just how safe rainwater in Boston is.

Back