What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'big mouth' vft questions

Like I don't ask enough questions... I received a very nice clump of 'big mouths' almost a month ago. I potted them in an 8" pot about the same in depth. It seems these guys have gotten over shipping shock but they're not putting out the same size traps that the plants came with. Most of the older traps have since died off and the new growth replacing them is more like a 'small mouth' variety (the deep red still appears in new traps though. Is this just getting over some remaining shipping stress or does it have to do with being planted in this huge pot... I use the tray method for watering but it seems they just don't get enough water in this deep pot. I was contemplating repotting them to smaller 3" individual pots with the media still attached to the roots to avoid any more shock... I've been giving these guys a minimum of 8 hours of direct sun. My typicals are GIANT because of this. There is plenty new growth but the traps are a bit... well... blah.
smile_h_32.gif

Give them time and they should do fine. They are still in shock from shipping right now, that is why their traps are smaller then the original. With good care they should start putting out their normal sized traps within the next two or three traps.
As for the size of the pot, the bigger pot is fine. Its better to just leave the plants alone. My number one tip in growing these guys is to leave them alone and let them do their own thing. If the conditions are right they'll reward you with excellent growth.

Where did you get the Big Mouth? I want to get one because it would look great in the center of my pot of typicals.

Johnathon

Back