What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A lot of problems

Hi, i have some vft, ones have deformed traps, but are fine, what that can be?, 2 wen i recibe it, i foud them very bad, full of peat moss, all bad, they leaves are dead, they turn black slowly and disapear, what i need to do to save him?, noone trap is red all green, im going to change the peat moss to 1 cuz is full of fungus gnat larva, and some others plant have litle spiders, i buy peat moss and silica sand, all look cute mixed, i put some sand in the up part of the peat, is a good idea?, tks to all.

Hey WindPlant,

Sounds like it could be a few things honestly. Could be a fungus on the rhizome, could be root shock, could be the fungus gnat larvae. How long have you had the plant, how long ago was it repotted and what conditions is it growing in?

Hehe, sorry for so many questions, just seen this happen to a VFT from so many little things.

I recommend that you read this thread. I was having problems too, and I brought my VFT back from the brink of death. It can be done but you need to move fast, and be patient with it, you won't see signs of improvement overnight. Hopefully you can arrest the declining health of your plant, be careful not to water too much and take it out of direct sun. That worked for me.

VFT story

Ok, ss i read the story,
Vertigo: the plants have a month w me, i repot it 2 weaks ago, i have them in a terrarium, one cm of water, in a tray, each 3 days, 20 wats 3 U, is a common bulb but 4,500k. No problem ask anyting to save the vft, im really new having cp, help, tks to all.

Sounds like several things all at once. You got it, then let it sit a while, then repotted it. The repotting part is enough to cost you all existing leaves/traps very quickly. This is not a problem as long as you have fresh growth comming out of the center. Your setup sounds ok to me, make sure you have good air movement around the plants. Keep them wet and well lit and they should recover just fine.

Good luck
Steve

ok, i open the lamp of the terrarium each 3 days for 5 minutes, is ok?, and always it have 10mm (5 of each side), for ventilation. tks to all.

Sounds good WindPlant, best of luck.

Dionaea like air flow, it really does help with them or any other rosetted plant. The rosettes usually tend to form a type of insulation between the media and the plant, keeping humidity up underneath the leaves. This mixed with the plant constantly liking it moist tends to lead to fungal and bacterial growth in any conditions where the air doesn't move.

Repotting should only normally be done in an emergency or when the plant is healthy and established already...this or during dormancy. Basically it needs to be doing well, otherwise you tend to shock the system. If a shocked plant is kept very moist, it'll tend to rot.

Another little tip on potting Dionaea rhizomes...make sure you water them in well. I've had a few Dionaea that I potted in a rush, only to realize when it was far too late that there was actually an air pocket that had formed around the lower half of the rhizome. Normally I would think the plant would attempt to fill in that space, but it's also a pocket that can fill up with water, or would give added damp stagnant contact with the heart of the plant.

ok, i repote it care full, and i dont water them a lot, wen she is ok i give him water again like normal, ok hope i get it.

Back