Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: G14 dirk ventham's giant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this double chromasome a natural thing, does it carry on to the seed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...let me see if I can shed some light here.

First let's not look at chromosone counts here, but true visually mutant forms. So all you soap box scientists out there just take a chill pill for the time being. K?

I personally do not consider any large trap form or variable color vft to be a mutant. Some good examples of true mutant vft forms are cup trap, fused tooth, pom-pom, Bart Simpson, etc. YUK! I can't figure out why people are so inclined to feverishly hunt down and grow such rubbish, but as it stands...beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. Of course these mutations may have been induced via tissue culture.

Now then, the original question that opened this thread was "where can one obtain a Dirk Ventham vft"? This vft is not a text book mutant form but rather a large growing typical form with highly prized coloration, (my opinion so back off). Nothing out of the ordinary here except for the color. Giantism is not a result of the introduction of artificial chemical stimulus, but rather a genetic code. Therefor one can self pollinate a large form vft and safely EXPECT some of the resulting offspring to be genetically similar or even identical to the parent plant. I would say at least 40% to 60% of the offspring will be large form. The specific color you're looking for may not appear with this batch of plants so you will have to grow the babies up and either self these or sib cross them. Yes....an investment in time. This is exactly how flower breeders develop their newest plants for their test trials.

Your chances of developing the biggest and best cultivars are enhanced when you perform f2, f3, sib crosses and cross pollinations. Trust me...it works. I have already performed all of these processes on several giant forms in my collection and more than 80% of the offspring are much bigger than the parent plants used. These are the plants I have to keep in the greenhouse because they routinely catch and devour small tree frogs on a regular basis outdoors.
    I have hundreds of these frogs around my yard.

Also, if a vft arrives in poor condition it should not take it more than the remainder of THIS growing season to snap out of it. Give the plant a proper growing environment with very fresh soil and a brand new pot. For heaven's sake DO NOT reuse your old pots. Some of the pics of vft that have been posted on these threads are pitiful. Vft are very sensitive to their growing environment. The better the conditions, the better the plant. And a proper dormancy is crucial. Cultural excellence and cleanliness is everything.

Sure there are many people out there who will say that this is all a bunch of unnecessary drivel. Just plant the bulbs and grow them. Well I've seen many of these collections and unfortunately these people are not as good a grower as they think they are.

We should stop trying so hard to hunt down every one of these personally named vft variants. As Bob mentioned earlier, many of these different clones are the same plant. There are many beautiful plants out there waiting to be married. One of the crosses I made this year was Pink Venus x Big Mouth (or Big Jaws, or whatever the heck it's now called. it has enormous purple-red traps). There are sure to be some fabulous offspring in this batch.

You see....half the fun of growing cp's is working with them as well. It is extremely rewarding to set out with a vision in mind and watch it come to fruition. And it doesn't take that long. If you're growing Sarracenia or Darlingtonia from seed....well....that doesn't happen overnight, right?

Oh just one more thing. How do you get the biggest, best traps on your plants?
    Simple. Remove all of the small plantlets that develop on the main bulb. Remove them every year and grow only the main bulb by itself. This is where you get your show stoppers.

Grow on!

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil and bob Im a beginner grower so Im not very experienced at growing seeds could you tell me step by step how to poolinate flowers by hand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]G14, if it is a true giant ,will visually show it and have double chromosomes.
    I was under the impreesion all Dionaea were basically the same, with only a few genes altering growth habit, coloration and size. Is there such a thing as 'double chromosomes?'

Here's the information for G14:

G14 Dirk Venthamís Giant (informally named by Stephen Morely). Possible source - Adrian Slack. Obtained by Graham Sadd in 1995. Distinguishing features - trap colour.

Here are two crosses grown from seed:

Left - G4 Short Petioles x G19 Vertical. Right - G3 Homebase Red x G17 Megatrap.

The ones on the right are fantastic looking plants with deep red interiors which eventually spread to the nectar zone and spines. The centre right plant has very large traps, which could eventually turn into a very large form plant. Again, the centre left plant has very large traps borne on short upright petioles. Nothing worthy of cultiavr status, but an example of the good plants that can be obtained from good original stock.

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Stephen, how could you tell if "true giants" are "mutants" none the less where it is mutated(double chromosomes). From my understanding of meiosis that I learned from 7 grade science(I just promoted to the 9th grade), the paternal side duplicates its its genetic information and its cell organs. Then the cell splits into 2 identical cells. Then it splits again into 4 cells, each with half the genetic code of the original cell. The same goes with the maternal cell. So each seed has a different combination. Now, there are incalculable permutations of genetic codes. Each seed has something different. A mutation is an error in duplication. One line of genetic code extra, one line of genetic code missing, ect. I think there are too many possibilities of genetic permutations for us to be just guessing what something is made of. I mean I can't just point to this VFT and say, you've got one this genetic code and this genetic code, therefore your traps are pink? It's impossible.

Phong
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast