Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: G14 dirk ventham's giant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know a website or two that sells G14 Dirk Ventham's Giants? If you could give me a website it would be really appretiated. THANKS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're having trouble finding this plant, try making your own similar clone. Get yourself a decent size 'Dingley Giant' and self polinate every flower that develops, by hand. Plant out and grow the seed and you will or at least should end up with at least one seedling that will resemble the Dirk Ventham clone; upright grower, pure green petiole, solid red traps (inside and out) with a highly arched midrib. I did this with my 'DG' and several of my other "super giants" and ended up with an assortment of color forms with differing growth habits that are now part of the crowning glory of my vft collection. You will also find that some of the seedlings will produce traps that rival the parent clones.

And then there are the babies you get from crossing 'DG' with a Big Jaws or Big Mouth or whatever you want to call it. Make this cross, grow the plants to maturity, sib cross the biggest ones and stand waaaay back. You will never have to ask where to find the biggest and best growing vft; you'll already have them. And with great culture... you WILL get 2"+ traps.

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil, excellent advice! The problem is that people spend entirely too much effort collecting and growing plants by their name, rather than by their characteristics. It is profitable to sell or trade a plant with a unique name. That is why many of the unregistered "named" cultivars look like the same plant when they are grown side-by-side under identical conditions. They are often the same plant with a different name. The other problem is that following your advice will take many years to see the result of this selective breeding. Most people want instant gratification, not years of careful cultivation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, you're so right. But I feel it is this required "patience" that creates the best growers. Instant gratification sometimes ends in tragic results. It's true that gowing from seed takes time and much patience, but during the time they are growing the seeds to maturity they can still be collecting the forms that are floating around. It's not a method of replacing the search, only enhancing it. And the wait is worth it for growers who have the patiece. Not only in obtaining genetically different material, but in mastering the cultivation requirements. And for really good growers it doesn't take that long to see the results of sib crossed selfings...maybe 5 or 6 years. About the same time it takes to grow many other species of differing genera to maturity.

Just my 2 cents.

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right you are, again. I guess I am slowly getting the required patience. I have only been growing VFTs since 1955. Perhaps one of these years, I may eventually learn how.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you guys have great ideas. Yes cross some of the named cultivars, grow out till they are mature and note differences and similarities. Maybe register your own plant someday. That would be great.

But, for instance myself. I am an orchid grower, have recently started growing C/Ps, and do some hobby T/C. I live in Alberta Canada.

I have done a lot of searching and have found no large cultivars except red dragon (if you want to call that large) in Canada. That means ordering from across the border, in which I have done recently.
    The cost of the plant material, shipping, inspections ect. is not cheap. Plus plants getting stuck in customs for 10 days plus the normal slowness of mail itself is not a good start, do you think the plants will be alive after 4 weeks in a box? I think I may have thrown 150$ Can. down the toilet.
    If the plants arrive alive they will be quite resistant to growing up to be a giant cultivar they are, because of the stress. It may take a couple of years just to flower, and if you want a strong healthy plant you may want to snip the flower for a year or two. That means if plants live. It will take 3 to 4 years till seed then 2 to 4 till new traits are noticed. That is quite an investment, time and money.

I guess what I am trying to say hear is that I think some people do not have the resources to easily acquire good breeding stock or just that specific plant you take a liking to. SO you have to ask.
    I myself would like these plants to be available to all Canadians and to people that are from far away places and have the same country to country problems.

Sorry about the rant, I'm just a little stressed about the recent order.

O I almost forgot philcula you say
    (Get yourself a decent size 'Dingley Giant' and self polinate every flower that develops, by hand.) This may result in a plant simular to the G14 Dirk Ventham's Giant.

I was under the impression that most of the registered plants were altered in tissue culture with hormones or chemicals that caused the mutations.

Stephen

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast