Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie that needs help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put mine in a 50/50 peatmoss and perlite mixture. Water with rainwater or distilled water. Acclimate to full sun (slowly move them from shaded spot to sunny to allow them time to adjust- say over a week). Make sure they get no fertilizer.
    You can feed them flies you catch but make sure alive so they can stimulate the traps even after they close (or else the trap will just reopen thinking it was hit by a falling leaf or something). Make sure there is always water in tray and s/b good. I just started growing VFT's a few months ago but that's what I've learned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and you're thinking of long fibre peat moss....but you don't need to use that the mixture I spoke of. Just regular peat moss with nothing added to it (no fertilizer).

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy sphagnum peat for about $5 at Home Depot or Lowes. For now, stay away from Scott's brand peat, that comes in the small bags. Look for the big bags that they keep outside. LFS (long fibered sphagnum peat) is also at HD & Lowes, in small bags, for about $4. Sand can easily be found at pool supply places, sold as pool filter sand. Two things cause coloring in VFT's. One is that it is a cultivar with and the other is sunlight. Hard to say what a garden center is bringing in. I bought a tri of red VFT's one summer and by the time dormancy rolled around, they looked green again. After dormancy and getting them outside for direct sunlight, they never colored up again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so its called sphagnum peat moss. Sand? Yall put them in sand? They will grow in sand? sorry if thats a stupid question I'm just trying to make sure I do everything right.

List of things I need to get:
    Can yall tell me if there is anything else I need to add to my list?
    1. a VFT
    2. Sand
    3. sphagnum peat moss
    4. container to grow them in
    5. collect rain water (which will be no problem it always rains here.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read "My FTV Care Sheet" which is at the top of these threads and that should help a lot. Then ask whatever questions you still have and I'm sure you'll get help. There are options for what soil medium to use and that's where its getting confusing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did read that sticky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you dont need sand.
    some people use sand mixed with peat, many dont.
    its ok to use it, its ok not to use it.
    personally, I dont like sand, because it makes the growing media very dense and heavy..
    so im not a fan of sand..tried it once and stopped using it.
    never much saw the point of it myself..

I use 3 different mixes, for different plants.
    pure peat
    pure LFS
    50/50 peat/perlite.

Scot

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you want is a nutrient-poor soil. A number of things fit that bill...peat, sand, perlite, vermiculite, long-fibered sphagnum moss. You can use a combination of those. Most people probably use a 1:1 ratio of peat/sand. If you use sand, don't use beach sand or sand that may be contaminated with other minerals. You want a salt/mineral/nutrient free medium. And NO fertilizer...no commercial potting soil.

As for feeding, you can feed your VFT but live prey only. But really if you just leave it alone it will catch it own meals...and it really doesn't HAVE to "eat" anyway. Bugs are kinda like natural fertilizer.

Rain water, distilled water and RO water (reverse osmosis filtered water) are all good. Don't use spring water, tap or other water that might contain salts and minerals.

Give it lots of sun, good air circulation and you should be good to go!

Good luck and welcome to the forums! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

PAK
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast