Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie that needs help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need some advice. I found some VFTs for sale at lowes you know the home improvement store and there is two of them near my house one Lowes has some that are green the other lowes and some that are green and red in the middle. are one of them healthier than the other or are they like flowers and just come in differents sizes and colors? Thanks for the help.

Oh and one more question if you don't mind. What should I grow these things in. I know something I can keep humid but what?

Thanks,
    SkaterDude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or do yall think I Should get my VFT elsewhere?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi SkaterDude and welcome to the forums! I have seen variation in the shipments sent to Home Depot. Some will have the red and others not most are what they call "typical", but I have also seen what are called "Dentate". I don't think it is a function of health. More than likely, it a variation in cultivar.

I bought my first successful VFT in late June, 2 years ago and had the pot sitting in an old plastic pretzel container, that was filled an inch with deionized water, which I get free at the lab in which I work. That set up was simply placed at a window sill. What I described is called "open tray". What that means is a pot sitting in another plastic container, sitting in water, but uncovered. I had an advantage with free water, but you can also use store bought distilled water - not tap or bottled water for drinking. You needn't get a VFT elsewhere, as long as it doesn't look like "death warmed over".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try that set up so I just put a pot in a container that has a inch of water in the bottom of that container.
    If the color has nothing to do with the Health of the VFT I think I'll get the ones with the red in the middle I like the way those looked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about feeding them I was researching some stuff on this web site in a search. I got confused some people say don't feed them that it could kill them, some say feed them so they stay healthy. Another thing I read is do not feed them Hamburger. can anyone give me any pointers on these subjects too?

Thanks for the help so far,
    SkaterDude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deffinately dont feed them hamburger.Nothing but insects.When they said it could kill them they probbly ment just the trap you put the bug in.Every now and then traps will rot away and turn all black its normal so long as every one of the traps dosnt go black.You can remove the dead stuff if you want or just let it be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The red in the middle is encouraged by your lighting... if you buy a green VFT and light it well the red will come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so it is okay to feed them. Where can I get that moss I don't remember the name it started with a P or something?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast