What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie here, feed me some info!

Hey guys, my name is Nick and I'm new to not only the forums but to VFT and plants in general! I ask that you please bare w/ me on my newbie questions as we all have to learn at some point, right?

Well today I decided I wanted to start getting into plant life and growth, so I ran out to my local nursurey and bought a Venus Fly Trap...below is the image...

flytrap.JPG

Anyway, I've been reading and still have a few questions...these suckers are about 2-2.5 inches in length and appear to be pretty health aside from 2 stems which have a brown end on them, looks like a smaller version of the "heads" of the other stems, but brown - should I cut these? if so how far down do I cut them?

I'm also moving to boston in the winter - how should I prepare them for the winter up there? I know they can't survive outside and I've read that they need to be in a cool place (40-55) so what should I do?

How often should I be watering this and how much? Also what do I do about feeding? I read that you didn;t NEED to feed them but it will help speed up the growth process.

Any info and help is appreciated.

Nick

Nick,

Welcome to the forums, you'll find people very helpful here... I'm just not one of them. well ok. I'll give it a shot..

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyway, I've been reading and still have a few questions...these suckers are about 2-2.5 inches in length and appear to be pretty health aside from 2 stems which have a brown end on them, looks like a smaller version of the "heads" of the other stems, but brown - should I cut these? if so how far down do I cut them?

You should remove to just behind the brown/black area, any leaf you can leave on helps photosythesize(sp???)..
I'll remove the entire trap once it is 1/4-1/2 black, but leave the rest of the leaf.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm also moving to boston in the winter - how should I prepare them for the winter up there? I know they can't survive outside and I've read that they need to be in a cool place (40-55) so what should I do?

Some people put the plant in their refridgerator for the winter. Use the search function, and search this section of the forum for 'dormancy'. Other people have given step by step instructions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How often should I be watering this and how much? Also what do I do about feeding? I read that you didn;t NEED to feed them but it will help speed up the growth process.

You should keep the pot in a dish that has 1-2" of water in it at all times. (note: mine actually dries up for a day or 2 with no problems, the second dish, not the VFT's soil)
Right, Feeding isn't needed to keep the plant alive, it just helps speed up the growth rate.

On a side note:

Your plant looks like it needs more direct sunlight, unless it is a VFT 'Green Dragon' or another all green variety, with more direct light it'll get some red coloration to it.

Also Always make sure you are using only distilled/rain/RO/or DI water. Tap water from most areas will kill your VFT.

And don't feed it anything but bugs.. Try to avoid hard shelled instects, ants, and things that eat plants.

VFT's can be grow outside in most areas of the country during the summer. Where you are now, and where you are moving to should be fine until it starts getting below 35 over night. When you leave it outside it catches it's own food and you don't have to worry about them much.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ Aug. 11 2005,4:05)]... unless it is a VFT 'Green Dragon' or another all green variety ...
Ummmm. "Green Dragon" is not an all green variety. It looks similar to a 'Red Dragon'. "Green Dragon" was isolated about 1996 during the amplification of 'Akai Ryu' (which is 'Red Dragon' in English).

See, I said I wasn't helpful...

thanks guy, I'll be doing some maintence tomorrow morning!

Hi Nick. For me, growing them outside is the way to go. I keep mine in a homemade cage so birds and squirrels don't harm the plants. I fill my trays up with distilled or rainwater. I keep my water trays (saucers) very full because our heat in Texas will evaporate water quick and I just can't lose any plants. If you grow yours outside put them in a shady place for about 3 days then move them to a slightly sunner place. Let them get used to full sunlight slowly, so you don't shock the plant. Cut off all dead (brown/black) leaves. Any other questions feel free to ask.

well I got my guy out in the moderate sun today, did some pruning got rid of all the brown stuff - it doesn't look as cool but I'm going for health and eventual size so it's all good....

When do these guys open their heads up?

The traps were probably triggered by the disturbance of transplanting and trimming. They should open again in a few days. Be patient. VFTs grow slowly.

If the traps have caught some food, it can take a week or 2 for them to open.

Back