Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New big mouth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peat shouldn't lose its acidity, so peat teas and such are pointless. Wild VFT don't suffer from their growing medium turning alkaline over a couple of year.

VFTs do like being repotted every year or two however. I suspect it's to do with the oxygen reaching the roots. Plenty of perlite seems to do a lot of good. Cultivated plants often seem to look bigger than those in the wild to my eyes. Maybe it's because wild plants flower every year?
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the tea thng isn't big deal at all. I've read somewhere that VFT's procuce redder traps in more acidic soil. Perhaps the tea thing is to mimic the slight acidity of rain water VFT's get in the wild. Alvin is right in saying VFT's need repotting every 1-2 years. Hard old compact peat tends to slow down VFT growth. That is the main reason to repot. Repotting should be done with extreme prudence. A good tip is to make sure no peat goes into the center growth point. Carnivorous Freak, where do you live? That would help tremendously for us to advise you on how to grow your "Big Mouth" plant. Other traits of "Big Mouth" I noticed were its shorter and thicker than normal cilia and darker green than normal leaves.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Paramus, NJ northern NJ is where that is. And I also have some questions about repotting when I repot my plants should I pack in the root in a hole so that I have to stuff the roots or should I make it so deep that the roots could reach all the way down?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I repot I try to hold the plant where I want it and have the roots go straight down. I use a pot deep enough for the roots. Then I slowly fill the pot with soil mixture so the roots are slowly buried (I use a spoon to move the soil into the pot so I can get the soil mixture past my hand holding onto the plant) and fill the pot up occassionally lightly compacting the soil as I go along.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been told by a professional grower that topping the soil with a rough gravel can do wonders for trap size and overall growth. The idea is that the gravel absorbs and retains heat, increasing the plant's metabolism. They tell all their customers to top with gravel nowadays. I haven't tried it yet, but when I start moving things into larger pots for next season, I definitely intend to give it a shot.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12