Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been wondering how I would provide the perfect dormancy in NJ outdoors where its 20f high in winter. I was thinking of putting it on the floor of my small greenhouse that get little light and it about 25f. Good idea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NJ? Well I live in Pennsylvania and that's really close to NJ. I've tried to get two CPs to go through a normal dormancy outside but they never came up the following Spring. And one of those plants was a Sarracenia purpurea which is supposed to be really hardy. *sigh* I miss that little guy. I for one have no idea what I'm going to do with my temperates when it comes time to go to dormancy. I'll probably just let it outside until it gets to freezing and then find some magical way to keep the pot from freezing.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having a hard time finding it, but WildBill gave us an excellent write up and picture of how he handles dormancy outside. I would say contact him and people like Scottychaos directly. I don't remember much more than heavily mulching and pine needles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have the option of mulching my plants. Any other options?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Boston, here's what I do. Allow the plants to fall into dormancy naturally by keeping them outside until November. Then uproot them, put them in a baggy with a little LFS and spray with fungicide. Keep them in the refrigerator until April or May, checking on them occasionaly for fungus or other problems. If you have room in the fridge store them in their original pots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be fine in the greenhouse. I wouldn't leave it on the floor though, since cold air sinks.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    should I like put it in like boxes or something because I have plenty of spare boxes since i just moved here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or maybe on a small table because I dont want to put it near the screen windows because Im trying to protect it from the freezing wind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast