What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy

I have been wondering how I would provide the perfect dormancy in NJ outdoors where its 20f high in winter. I was thinking of putting it on the floor of my small greenhouse that get little light and it about 25f. Good idea?

NJ? Well I live in Pennsylvania and that's really close to NJ. I've tried to get two CPs to go through a normal dormancy outside but they never came up the following Spring. And one of those plants was a Sarracenia purpurea which is supposed to be really hardy. *sigh* I miss that little guy. I for one have no idea what I'm going to do with my temperates when it comes time to go to dormancy. I'll probably just let it outside until it gets to freezing and then find some magical way to keep the pot from freezing.

I'm having a hard time finding it, but WildBill gave us an excellent write up and picture of how he handles dormancy outside. I would say contact him and people like Scottychaos directly. I don't remember much more than heavily mulching and pine needles.

I dont have the option of mulching my plants. Any other options?

I live in Boston, here's what I do. Allow the plants to fall into dormancy naturally by keeping them outside until November. Then uproot them, put them in a baggy with a little LFS and spray with fungicide. Keep them in the refrigerator until April or May, checking on them occasionaly for fungus or other problems. If you have room in the fridge store them in their original pots.

It should be fine in the greenhouse. I wouldn't leave it on the floor though, since cold air sinks.

should I like put it in like boxes or something because I have plenty of spare boxes since i just moved here.

Or maybe on a small table because I dont want to put it near the screen windows because Im trying to protect it from the freezing wind.

I absolutely DESPISE the refrigerator method. One, I tried it last year and lost all but one of my CPs. Two, they get NO LIGHT except when the fridge door is opened which means they can't photosynthesize so they are lacking in energy. Three, they lose all their leaves and have to start off the season with a slow start and have to recover and it took about TWO MONTHS for my VFT to get on a regular growing schedule again. That's why I'll never do the fridge method again.

I remember that method you are talking about, JimScott. You're supposed to burry the pot so that it looks like the plant is growing in the ground and then cover it with pine needles and mulch over it to keep it from freezing. BUT again, it keeps it from getting sunlight.

I must think of a new way! A revolutionary way to get CPs through dormancy in the Northeast! *stands on top of a mountain and poses*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Aug. 16 2005,3:25)]I absolutely DESPISE the refrigerator method. One, I tried it last year and lost all but one of my CPs. Two, they get NO LIGHT except when the fridge door is opened which means they can't photosynthesize so they are lacking in energy. Three, they lose all their leaves and have to start off the season with a slow start and have to recover and it took about TWO MONTHS for my VFT to get on a regular growing schedule again. That's why I'll never do the fridge method again.

I remember that method you are talking about, JimScott. You're supposed to burry the pot so that it looks like the plant is growing in the ground and then cover it with pine needles and mulch over it to keep it from freezing. BUT again, it keeps it from getting sunlight.

I must think of a new way! A revolutionary way to get CPs through dormancy in the Northeast! *stands on top of a mountain and poses*
yeah, the fridge method isnt ideal...a more "natural" dormancy would be better. but if you have NO other options, (like me)its either the fridge or certain death..

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One, I tried it last year and lost all but one of my CPs.
hmmm..strange, thats very unusual.
I have been doing it for 10 years and have lost maybe 2 plants total in 10 years. and thats with 20 or more plants every year..20 plants times 10 years is "200 fridge dormancys"..198 lived, 2 died.
I have a 99% success rate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] they get NO LIGHT except when the fridge door is opened which means they can't photosynthesize so they are lacking in energy.
thats basically irrelevant with the fridge method, because at temps that cold they wont be growing anyway..they dont need any light because they arent growing. so lack of light is meaningless.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Three, they lose all their leaves and have to start off the season with a slow start and have to recover
good point..and that is the only real drawback to the fridge method. but my plants have never really suffered because of that..I think thats more of a percieved loss than a real loss..
if growing conditions are good, they recover just fine.

yes, the fridge method isnt perfect..but ANY dormancy is far better than NO dormancy..
fridge dormancy = survival.
indoors all winter with no dormancy = certain death.
outdoors in upstate NY = nearly certain death.

the choice is clear..

dont knock the fridge method if its your only option! ;)

I would like to try a heavily mulched outdoor bog someday..just need a yard first!
I knwo people have sucessfully done it in these climates.
but IMO its not really worth the risk for the way I grow my plants. the fridge is easier, and is much more mild than outdoors. someday I will try an in-ground bog and will then expirement with mulching..being in the ground helps a lot.

CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK,
I wouldnt risk keeping your plants outdoors all winter..
the risk of death is FAAAAARRRRRr higher than it would be if you tried the fridge..

If you really want to try to keep them outdoors, your ONLY option is to bury the pots in the ground and put a TON of mulch on top! like a 2-foot layer of pine needles and/or leaves..keeping them out in the open air is certain death.

I will try to restore the pictures in my fridge method demo..
its getting to that time of year where people are asking about it again!

Scot

Ive heard that vfts can survive without dormancy for at least one or two years before they become noticably sluggish and from a guy is almost 18 and has been growing cps since he was four.

Out of 'Vitro' they can, but they need it every year after that; either mild or deep dormancy; and, oh yea, repot.

Like I said before the mulching thing just wont work for me. I dont know where to get the proper things, I dont have time to build a hole in the ground to mulch them, and my backyard doesnt have space. Maybe next year or the year after that.:(

Back