What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outer edges of petioles turn white; then black

Hey, everyone;

haven't posted for awhile; but I have a quick question.  I don't have pics but will be descript.

I have about 40 commons twelve weeks since bare root bought from Phil  (of course) I potted them in 50/50 Canadian Sphagnum peat and perlite.

Overall, they appear very healthy, but have noticed some are turning very pale yellowish white on the outer edges of the petioles, then finally turn black.  It then affects the trap and all in a matter of a week or two.  This is happening on rather young growth so age isn't a factor. It isn't epidemic yet.

They are grown indoors 6 inches from 4 40 watt flourescense from cool white to full spetrum for 12 hours a day. I'm careful not to overwater letting them get to dry damp before watering again (using R.O. water). There doesn't seem to be any roots coming out of the bottom of the plastic stock pots to indicate root bind.  I wetted them yesterday with cleery fungicide.

Did I do the right thing.  If growing VFT'S indoors where it's cool all the time gonna require an occasional fungicide treatment?  Is it fungus at all?  They aren't bannana specked that would indicate spider mites, but maybe it is anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

I need to add that I foilar feed with Superthrive and Miracid once a month; but have stopped as they are catching prey on their own now. Could I have burned them or maybe it's leaching into the growing medium and burning the root system. Maybe I should flush with distilled water?

Just taking a stab at it but maybe since its always so cool it was fungus and maybe it'll stop now that you added the fungicide.:)

Well I could be wrong but I thought Superthrive was for the roots only. Its not a fertilizer...its a vitamin/hormone treatment for stimulating root growth. And I don't know about spraying fertilizer on a VFT either. I've heard you can foliar feed neps, pings and cephs without damage but I don't know about VFTs. If its leaching to the soil then that would NOT be good for the plants.

Maybe stop with the fertilizer/Superthrive spray and see if its stops happening?

BTW...VFTs don't HAVE to feed...so don't be thinking you have to fertilize them if they aren't catching bugs. They make food through photosynthesis just like any other plant. Bugs are their "fertilizer."

I'm having the same problem. It was just a few at first. Now I'm clipping five trapps a day. I'm using no fertilizer, just peat and perlite. I water with rain water and distilled water. I have a thousand watt grow light, but they have been under that for months.

DCP01356.JPG

I sprayed with Cleery 3336 bought here; will see if that helps.

Humungus; your post helps as I too thought maybe they were being burned; but it appears to be some type of virus or fungus. I'll keep you posted. I sprayed about 4 days ago and so far it appears that I'm not cutting off so many now.

I have some Cleery 3336. I'll try spaying it on the leaves and see if that helps any. I was just putting it on the soil to get rid of this clear mucous like fungi. Goldslinger, have you had any slime like fungi form on the soil?

No, not that I could detect. I unpotted one of the more chronic ones and inspected the rhyzome too. It appeared white and crisp and wasn't slimey or anything. I just don't know what's going on. I may nuke it again with the Cleery.

I used a spray bottle and sprayed the foilage and drenched around the rhyzome a little. I can't see any 'critters' that would warrant insecticide; but may do that as well just in case.
I'm just at wits end.

I think the Cleery is working. Only one bad thing, my sundews are hurting. Some have shriveled up and the rest are not making any dew. I hope they make a come back. Any one ever put Cleery on dews?

i try very hard not to use any chemicals of any kind of Drosera. They have always been uber-sensitive to chemicals for me (excluding superthive, and i probable use a cap full per 24 oz. pretty heavy).

The Queensland Sisters are especially sensitive to chemicals.

The cleery appears to be working for me as well. What's done is done on the already exposed leaves, but new growth is alot better.

OK, I'm dying here. I’m losing traps faster and faster. They turn black on the edges of the leaves, and then the trap dies. What I don’t understand is if the plants are sick, why so many new traps keep growing. I do have some kind of bugs crawling around in the soil. They look about like lice and they jump around when I spray water on the soil. I have tried to drown them but the soil floats up higher than the edges of my mini bog giving them safe haven. These bugs may not be why the traps are dying but I’m at my wits end. Please help me before I pull all my hair out. I have sprayed with Cleery, Orthenex, and Bug Be Gone. All that has beat the crap out of the sundews in my bog but the bugs live on.

P.S.  The VFT’s where doing this trap losing thing before I tried thermal nuclear war on the problem.
smile_h_32.gif

I think I have the answer. I'm in the middle of a tropical storm. I just put every plant I own on the back porch. This storm is supposed to kick our butts till next week. That should drown every thing including the frogs. So far it has been raining for two solid days. I think five more will do it.

Even though the storm is still of the coast of Florida, I brought the plants back inside. After three days there are no new dead traps. Either it was the bugs and they are dead or they just needed some tropical air. Thank for all the imput. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully the bugs won't return.

Back