What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick question

I have a VFT recently acquired and when i got it it had green slimy mold on top, but now it has white mold. is it gone or can i save it by transplanting asap and removing the growth? it's been in a tray but for the past 2 days i've let it dry a little to see if it would help.

I would first try manually removing the mold and or slime with tweezers or toothpicks and continue to let it dry a bit. lthough I haven't tried it, people have had success with sprinkling some cinnamon on the mold. I would transplant it yet because transplanting may not be necessary and it may set the plant back by putting it in shock, or keeping it in shock, since it was recently acquired.

Usually mold is caused by high humidity and or not enough circulation.Do you have one of those mini plastic terrariums over it? If so you should remove it as its not necessare and just encourages mold.Be sure to gradually remove it over about a week so you dont shock it from sudden drop in humidity.

yeah it wasn't covered i don't know what happened. it was doing great and then all of a sudden it had lots of mold. from what they look like today i think i lost it. i guess i'm not cut out for this. oh well!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (prizmbatch @ Aug. 24 2005,4:19)]i think i lost it. i guess i'm not cut out for this. oh well!
Do not give up! If any of us gave up when we killed a new plant, there would be no one growing CPs.

Perhaps all is not lost. If you think it is gone, you have nothing to lose with a bit of experimentation. Carefully dig it up, gently wash it in clean water removing most of the soil and mold, trim off any dead and black leaf parts (not roots), replant it in fresh sphagnum peat moss, and put it in a bright and well ventilated location. If the "bulb" is not all mushy, you might be pleasantly surprised in a month or so.

Back