What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fridge dormancy

Hi.

Im new to fridge dormancy and I was wondering if I could just spray my plant with a fungicide then put it in a fridge wrapped in blck plastic at about 32 F. I wouldnt cut off the leaves or anything jst put the whole plant in the fridge. What do you think?
confused.gif

That sounds like a legitimate variation of what some people do. A lot of people have mentioned spraying with fungicide and putting in baggies, into the fridge. But the prevailing opinion on temperature is more the 35-40 range.

I have had 100 % success with just taking the plant as is, open tray, and putting it the fridge - no fungicide and no baggie, watering when necessary. Maybe I've been lucky, but it has worked for me.

The typical refrigerator is usually held a few degrees above freezing, about 4C or so. I don't think the fridge dormancy thing would work well if the plants were kept at freezing temperature (but I've never tried).

But does anyone recommend a type of fungicide that I should put on them. Like the brand name and stuff. Also could you
give me info about other types of dormancys not including muclching or windowsill dormancy?

Where do you live(what state)?Depending where you live,you could grow it outside year round.

Jerry

I live in paramus, NJ in the middle of winter its about 20F-30F. It also gets a fair amount of snow and a few artic winds.

It is unless you can mulch it pretty well. People living north of you keep them out all year long, but are proficient with insulating techniques - particularly WildBill.

What if I kept it stored in a small storage area. It has scrren windows, lets in air, lets in sun, and has plenty of space.

Hey Carnivorous Freak,
I also live in New Jersey and what I do is store my CP in the garage for the winter.

I see and do you spray fungicide or anything on your plants in the garage. Also, do you place them near a door or do you just place them in a random place?

i live in ga so i don't use a fridge or garage or mulch, but i always spray with schults fungicide/insectice/something-elsacide. i'd rather be safe than sorry.

i keep them just damp enough to survive. i keep them pretty dry.

Back