What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Direct sunlight vs flourescents

I have had my venus fly traps under flourescent lights for the summer since my windowsill didn't get direct sunlight for the summer until now.  The traps are really big one one of them, but they aren't producing them very fast.  On two of the others the traps are average sized, but some of them are a little curled. When they were still getting direct sunlight one of them flowered, but seems to be having a tough time recovering.  Since my windowsills are now getting direct sunlight again, would it be a good idea to slowly get them used to that again?  Maybe on my lunch break put them out there for 15 or 20 minutes a day and slowly increase that.  They are getting 14 hours a day of flourescent light right now.  Thanks.

Joel

Kind of sucks that they have to spend the best parts of their growing season indoors under lights, outdoors under full/part sun is the best. But maybe putting them in the window now might help them slip better into dormancy as they will experience the natural decrease in photoperiod (but not the decrease in temps, too bad). I would personally let them experience a half day of window for a week, and them switch them over completely...if the sunlight is good enough it will only help.

Can you open the window / screen a little to let in the outside air, at least for a couple few months?

I will try giving them some half days in there and harden them off a little bit. I will try opening the window a little bit too so they can get a little bit of fresh air. Maybe next year I will be able to let them grow outdoors. Thanks guys!

Definitely grow them outdoors if the conditions are suitable. I had mine inside for a while and looked -bleh- but once outside... BOOOOSH! They're growing like crazy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have had my venus fly traps under flourescent lights for the summer since my windowsill didn't get direct sunlight for the summer until now.

Has your house rotated?
smile_n_32.gif

I'd slap them on the windowsill 24/7. Sunshine is way better than artificial light.

LOL. No my house hasn't rotated as far as I know. But the position of the sun changes from summer to winter. I get great sun during the winter months, but the overhang on the apartments block the sun just enough so it doesn't come in my windowsill. Now it is back though, so I will slowly harden them off to full sun again.

My big mouth has been in the windowsill the whole time and has been doing pretty well, but has quite a few leaves turning black now that the sun is hitting it again in full. Hopefully it just takes some time to adjust and it will get back to growing great again.

Yea,

Here in Kansas the Sun is getting lower and my two VFT'S that are on the kitchen windowsill are getting a dose of Sunshine that they haven't had for awhile.

Spring and Fall, I keep them on the sill. During the Summer; I give them a dose of sunshine outside three times a week.  Growing them outside isn't an option for me.  I have 50 VFT'S under flourescents right now and they aren't worse for wear; in fact they look great!  I've been selling them to customers at my Jewelry store.  I'm reducing the amount of light for them by one hour increments each month to simulate dormancy.  Also the room is cooler now as well.

I agree that Direct Sunshine is better than artificial; but indirect isn't.  My VFT'S have had spindly growth with natural ambient,not direct light.  I put them under flourescense now.
Variety has a play though; as the big mouths didn't mind the lesser light; it was the Green Dragons that were getting spindly with smaller traps in the indirect sunlight.

Outside on a cloudy day is at least as good or better than artificial; as there is no glass to filter out any rays.

You need to know that you have options.  You don't HAVE to grow them outside.  Outside has alot of disadvantages for me (unless I build an expensive green house which our Spring storms would certainly destroy).

We are semi arid so spider mites are in great abundance.  We have squirrels, birds, etc that love tender VFT'S.  The list goes on and on.  I can really get close and enjoy my collection in my basement under the strong flouresent lights.  I can monitor their health. A screened patio would be perfect, but I don't have the space in our backyard.  I am entertaining the idea of building a cold frame attached to the house; you know, kinda half of one with a door on the side, but still; I'm not one that can plant em' and forget em'.  I have to stare at them up close; they simply fascinate me!

There are disadvantages of growing them inside as well, you have to really watch your watering on how much; letting them get cool damp before watering again and not letting them stew in water all the time or you're asking for fungus; the list goes on as well with one being I feel compelled to give them a spritz of miracid/superthrive on the foilage once a month for lack of insects.

There are people here that insist that if the plant isn't outside; it's next to suicidal for the plant;  I'm here to say that simply isn't so, or you'd lose alot of people in this hobby.
I've got VFT'S I've had 6 years that I've divided three times now that have never seen the 'light of day' (natural sunshine).
Huge traps as I have them within 6 inches of the light where they receive warmth as well.

However; it is MUCH simpler to grow them successfully outside!

Phil's Green Dragons, by the way, are the hardiest VFT cultivar I've seen in my collection. They are rather forgiving; more so than the commons, but they do like alot of light!
My Dente' looks fine under artificial as do the big mouths.
The commons seem more prone to viral or fungal problems growing them inside in artificial, so I have to watch them.

Good luck.

I grow all of my plants indoors completely under fluorescent lighting and have gradually fine-tuned my setup so that most are growing healthy.  

However, if I could grow all of them outdoors or indoors under natural lighting, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Given the proper environmental conditions, it is generally easier, costs less electricity and, if done properly, produces much healthier plants.

I'm definitely an advocate of indoor growing under artificial lighting, but only for those (such as myself) for which it is a necessity.

Best of luck with your plants.

Part of me would like to grow them outside too, but I also like to look at them up close. It just makes my day better every time I go to look at them. They fascinate me too! It is really windy up here real often and it seems to me that might be a little hard on them. But maybe not......it's hard to say. I live in an apartment that does have a porch, and I think I might be able to set some of them out there. I'm not sure......I really like them inside but if they would grow so much better outside, then that seems like what I should try.

Maybe next year I can give that a shot. It may be enough shelter so they wouldn't get too windblown. I'll have to see. I've given them a couple of half days in the sun now, and now they are receiving full sun. Hopefully they will get a few months of good healthy growth before they go to sleep for the winter.

Are there certain lights that are better than others for growing? I got this light at walmart that said "Grow Light", but I have read a little bit about different spectrums. This didn't have any info on that at all, just said grow light.

Back