What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skipping dormancy

I have some FVT's that I have started from seed. I have others that were little offspring growing in the pot of a larger plant I purchased locally. Others are large more mature plants that will need dormancy. Some are seeds just recently planted (and I know they don't need dormancy).

My question is- at what size does a VFT need dormancy? One inch across? Two inch accross? Is there some size indicator to let me know which plants can skip dormancy and stay under lights all winter and which VFT's need dormancy for best long-term growth??

What have being recommended by people here is that you can skip dormancy for the seedlings this year, but not for next.

i dont recomend skiping dormacy, btw i belive you can skip the first year with sarracenia too

hi curlingguy!
when i get new vft's, i will usually skip the first winter's dormant period by growing the plant in my terrerium. if you would be growing them under artificial light, then i would say it's probably ok to skip the first year's dormancy, if you make sure it's healthy and that you give it a dormant period the next fall.

peace,
tech...

Back