Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is he going to die?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I've had my VFT for like 2 weeks now. It was looking very sickly after it's shipping, and has improved. I cut off all the dead traps and leaves, but over time new dead leaves and traps have appeared. Today I had to cut off two more, and I think all this cutting is just going to stunt it's growth. The traps leaves are just turning black slowly, and it looks like some other traps are starting to get small brown spots on them too. The soil and pot are the same that it was shipped in, so I don't think that's the problem. It's being watered with distilled water on a daily basis, so underwatering is not a problem. I'm thinking it might be lack of sun, because it sits in my window, but i don't know if it's getting enough sunlight sitting there. I don't want to move it outside because I know it's just going to get all dried out within hours of being under the 95 degree sun. Any ideas what I can do to improve it's health?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the plant in a bowl container like a Cool Whip container, fill with distilled water, add a couple drops of thrive, and STICK THAT DANG THING IN THE SUN!!! Sunlight is detrimental to the plants growth and health. 95 degrees ain't nuthin'! Keep water in the bowl, and even temps like our 105+ degrees will not bother the plant. The bowl full of water will keep it watered and the humidity high around the plant. Plus, open air is what the Doctor ordered for this plant, so get to it before it is gone. BTW, VFT's are from North Carolina (just like you, John), and believe me, Wilmington is humid, AND hot as well. The temps are good, so do the plant a favor and give it what it needs. Lotsa sun, and humidity. And hurry!

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Sep. 05 2005,1:34)]Sunlight is detrimental to the plants growth and health.
    Errrmmm it is?

Hehe He means that sunlight is what the plants really want. Get it outside asap just as he said and your plant should be fine.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I put my pot in a bowl of water? Also, winter is coming in a few short months, what am I going to do about sunlight then? I'd perfer this plant as an indoor plant if possible, is there anything I can do? I was considering getting a fluorescent light, but I'm not sure how well that'll go over with my father, being he's paranoid I'm going to be growing something illegal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats right. Put the pot in the container and get it outside. Leave it there for the winter too. Believe it or not, VFT's can even take a light snow. Heck, John, I will give you a fresh dozen plants if you just follow the directions I gave you, and if your plant dies.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I shall do so tomorrow. In the mean time, in case I decide to get a grow light and continue my plants inside, about how much light is required? I'm assuming it needs at least 12 hours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds about right for this time of year, and drop to 10 hours in late November. Outside is the very best way to grow, but they are your plants.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugweed, mad props man.. I can barley get the message posted before you reply [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks for all your help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast