Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The little flytrap that could

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after getting home and taking my VFT's in, I noticed one of the traps on my small (~3/4" traps) plant that never catches anything had a weird bulge in it. I said to myself, "Naw, it can't be," and held it up to the light. Lo and behold this little guy snared himself a fly that was as big as he was! He must have been lightning fast, or the fly must have been nursing a hangover, because it was a perfect catch; no part of the fly was sticking out at all. My larger one (~1 1/4" inch traps) has caught a few, but it needed a hand with a toothpick shoving that little bugger's head into the trap so it could seal. I swear I heard it saying, "Help meeeeee!"

Anyway, this story is useless without pics, so here's one of the little one with a fly taking up the whole trap, and one of the big ones with a fly in it for scale.

Thanks for listening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Nice catch!!!! Maximizing the meal size.
    Nice pictures too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thatís cool. There is some thing euphoric about knowing the plant has a full belly. It makes me think of a sleepy afternoon with my belly filled with a big juicy steak.
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If an insects head is outside the trap, don't worry. It might not look sealed but the insect will be digested fine.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Sep. 09 2005,4:38)]If an insects head is outside the trap, don't worry. It might not look sealed but the insect will be digested fine.
    Yeah, but the brains are the best part! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_t_32.gif[/img]

I am really proud of the little guy, like a baby taking its first steps, or a dog learning a new trick. But you should never anthropomorphize CP's; they don't like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think mine like being considered as an equal. We both like to make bugs suffer a slow death. Then again, they maybe more human than me.
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that the ones that the plants catch themselves are always perfect catches unless it is something like a cranefly or something with particularly long legs. Its when little humans try to stuff flys into the trap that all the problems start happening. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet catch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast