What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 gallon of LIVE Sphagnum! Whoo! (Winner macamus3) $15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Hey guys. One gallon of live sphagnum that will be collected from the bog the day I ship. Nice stuff, too. It's wild, so there will be hitch hikers and it may have a little of the native media on it when it arrives. It will probably have a few weeds/sticks/leaves in it.

Here's a pic of some stuff I just got rid of. This is not the moss you will get, but an example.

DSC02001.jpg

DSC02000.jpg

Winner pays flat-rate shipping since it will be about 3 pounds (that's 8 dollars) and can PM me. Let's start the bidding at 5 bucks. I'll pack it in little sheets so it will be easy to lay it out flat in a bog or something. Since this moss is at the mountain house, I will ship it within 3-5 days of getting the shipping money.

"Mom can I buy living spagnum moss?"
she said yes :) Finnally
$5

LIVE MOSS! YESSS!
$6

Seeee...wishes do come true. lol

Did we ever find out if it's kosher to send live sphagnum to cali? This can't be a bid (I'm not on my computer so I don't want to log on,) but it's not just chit-chat. Really!

-Est

I couldn't make heads or tails of it, but there is a number in Sacramento you can call is listed here:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/summary.htm

The restriction on plants and growing media from GA is:

"Soil, growing media, humus, compost, manure (except commercial); plants with roots in soil, grass sod; crowns, bulbs, corms, tubers, etc. with soil; and any conveyance capable of harboring Japanese beetle."

The question is I suppose is if Sphagnum moss can harbor Japanese beetles.

I would say no. They don't feed on that kind of vegetation. Thank you for looking that up Not A Number. :)

The full text of the Japanese beetle quarantine is here:

http://pi.cdfa.ca.gov/pqm/manual/htm/323.htm

The full-text on what is covered:

C. Articles and Commodities Covered. The following are hereby declared to be hosts and possible carriers of the pest quarantined against:
1. Soil (except when commercially packaged). For the purpose of this section, soil shall mean all growing media;

2. Humus, compost and manure (except when commercially packaged);

3. All plants with roots (except bareroot plants free from soil); "Free from soil" as used in this regulation shall mean free from soil in amounts that could contain concealed Japanese beetle larvae or pupae:

4. Grass sod;

5. Plant crowns or roots for propagation (except when free from soil);

6. Bulbs, corms, tubers, and rhizomes of ornamental plants (except when free from soil);

7. Any other plant, plant part, article, or means of conveyance when it is determined by a California State Plant Quarantine Officer to present a hazard of spreading live Japanese beetle due to infestation or exposure to infestation by Japanese beetle.​

??? Is Live Sphagnum moss considered growing medium or a decorative moss ???

japanese beetles...horrid little buggers. they destroy our roses every year... i need some big purps so i can just feed them beetles...
Alex

Warren , you worry too much I think :)

I think we can classify this as decorative moss. I have seen little beetles but no Japanese beetles.

Shipping regulations is fair for info but keep the chit chat down please. :)

$8,I am going to put up a cp bog :banana2:
So I am going to get a cut in half barrel to
start then a 7X7 bog using thick greenhouse plastic
with smooth river rock around the edges.

Someone I sent some to about a week ago unpacked it and sent me pics to use in the auction today. Look at how good it looks, even after being in a bag in a box for a week! Look at how few weeds and debris was in it. Bid high and support the NASC!

This is what one gallon looks like:

P6130091.jpg

P6130095.jpg

P6130093.jpg

P6130094.jpg

P6130097.jpg

He said it was cleaner than the domestic LFS he uses as a potting medium.

10 dollars- and you can even keep the quarter that you sent to the other guy. :p

I sure do love decorative moss that happens to be excellent at retaining moisture. Yay for decorative moss lol

Thanks again, Clint!

$11

Last edited:
Lucky $13

Shipped 6/27

Reminder to either the sender to send the item or the buyer to to pay for or repoert the item received.

Please don't respond if the status of this auction is up to date. Only post the current status of the auction. This is also to keep the open auctions at the front and put the closed ones in the back.

Reminder to either the sender to send the item or the buyer to to pay for or report the item received.
This is also to keep the open auctions at the front and put the closed ones in the back, so please don't respond if the status of this auction is up to date. Only post the current status of the auction. Please don't send me a update through PM, my inbox is already full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back