What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FOSSIL: Chesapecten jeffersonius, scallop shell (Winner JMatt) $14

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
For those interested in fossils, I just scored this large Chesapecten scallop shell last nite at my rock club meeting. And I'm going to give it up for NASC! Its BIG.

Chesapecten jeffersonius is Virginia's state fossil. It is the fossilized form of a now extinct scallop that lived in the early Pliocene epoch, 4-5 MILLION years ago, along the Virginia coastal plain. The Chesapecten was the first North American fossil to be described by Martin Lister in 1687. The fossil was named to honor Thomas Jefferson.

This big boy measures approximately 6-inches across. Photo show it covering my hand...bottom right photo shows the inside of the shell. There is one small chipped area right at the bottom center of the shell but otherwise it is a beautiful and large example of a scallop fossil.

Opening bid is $2. I will ship anywhere as I'm not aware of any laws against shipping fossils. ??? I will pay shipping unless it exceeds $12 (out of the country).

Just think...this is MILLIONS of years old!

chesapecten.sized.jpg

I have one just like that.

http://www.geocities.com/elgecko89/Chesapecten.html

My research shows that it could have also come from the Miocene Period (23.8 - 5.3 mya) as well as the Pliocene Period (5.3 - 1.8 mya).

I want to build a shadow box to hang it on the wall, but have not yet.

There nice pieces, everyone should have one. :-))

I have some others as well but I'm keeping those as I dug them out of a cliff myself. :) This one is much bigger than mine though. The lady had 2 of them but someone got to the other one seconds before I did. :( I was hoping she'd put it down but she got it. lol My info I grabbed from Wiki real fast.

Yes, Steve is right...everyone should have one. :grin: So...here's your chance!

$2

I would love to have this, as I'm not having any luck affording any plants! It's just beautiful, and so big!

$5

$6. Is the hand included?

lol I meant to state that the hand is not included. :-))

$10

$11 for the shell, $100 for the hand

$14

Payment sent: 6-26
Paypal

This has been shipped (July 2nd). No hand but a few little do-dads included. Thank you for participating in the auction!

Reminder to either the sender to send the item or the buyer to to pay for or repoert the item received.

Please don't respond if the status of this auction is up to date. Only post the current status of the auction. This is also to keep the open auctions at the front and put the closed ones in the back.

Reminder to either the sender to send the item or the buyer to to pay for or report the item received.
This is also to keep the open auctions at the front and put the closed ones in the back, so please don't respond if the status of this auction is up to date. Only post the current status of the auction. Please don't send me a update through PM, my inbox is already full.

Reminder to either the sender to send the item or the buyer to to pay for or report the item received.
This is also to keep the open auctions at the front and put the closed ones in the back, so please don't respond if the status of this auction is up to date. Only post the current status of the auction. Please don't send me a update through PM, my inbox is already full.

Received!

Arrived just fine. Simply beautiful!
JMatt

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back