What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This year's auction beneficiary information

schloaty

Staff member
All of us at NASC are proud to announce that a portion of the auction
proceeds (the lesser of $1500 or 50%) will be going to a 5 acre site
in Georgia managed by The Nature Conservancy (TNC). In fact it's the
last site of its type in the state of Georgia.

Carnivorous plant species found here include the Federally endangered
green pitcher plant (Sarracenia oreophila) and sundews
(Drosera). This is a unique site that needs to be
maintained.

The proceeds from last annual auction went to provide a much needed
burn at Myrtle Head Savanna managed by TNC, North Carolina. It
started an anti-poaching campaign in Brunswick County, NC and help
fund a plant rescue in Florida.

While in 2008, NASC auction proceeds benefited Splinter Hill Bog
Preserve managed by TNC of Alabama.

So please do your part and donate an item in the upcoming auction.
You will not only help maintain the Sarracenia oreophila site,
but also allow us to save more carnivorous plants this year.

Sarracenia oreophila is listed on the US Endangered Species Act and
CITES Appendix I.

sarraoreop040.jpg

Sarracenia oreophila from the protected Georgia site.
Photograph by Barry Rice. Used
with permission.

NASC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that is dedicated to
preserving natural Sarracenia habitats.

I have not been on enough to look around to see if this is posted, but since you brought it up,
I am now curious, where does the rest of the proceeds go? ???

Also, I do want to say that I think you all are having a real eventful year with this, :headwall:
as it appears this year in particular is full of "Auction problems and situations"!
It should be interesting to see how things all work out in the end. :poke:
(I myself, would need a vacation after dealing with everything I have seen happening here!)
Good Luck! :beer:

All of us at NASC are proud to announce that a portion of the auction
proceeds (the lesser of $1500 or 50%) will be going to a 5 acre site
in Georgia managed by The Nature Conservancy (TNC).

Where do the rest of the proceeds go?

The rest of the proceeds, though not yet earmarked, will go towards funding operational costs (diseminating information, postage for shipping out plants, plant supples like pots & pete, etc).

We are also contantly looking for other organizations like this one, and our previous beneficiaries, that need our assistance.

Some assets are also retained for travel.

For example, last year we sent Mark to FL on a rescue mission.

That's great! Thanks for the info. Would there be any chance for future NASC auctions in entertaining the idea of buying land currently still at risk in order to preserve the native fauna there?
Also personally I think if this was a biannual thing, it'd still be a huge success. I understand there's a LOT of work that goes into prepping these events but I'd be the first to help out in anyway possible! I've contacted board members regarding helping out or volunteering my time but have not heard back...

Hey French

Who'd you contact? I'll go light a fire under their butts.

Bi-annual? Are you trying to KILL me? Man. :crazy: :0o:

As far as volunteers go...we always need those "in reserve."

Thanks for volunteering, too....If you're in Louiville....hmmm....gotta talk to the boardies to see if we need you for anything in that area....

i thought bi-annual means once every 2 years...

It does...he meant semi-annual. :)

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

I've contacted board members regarding helping out or volunteering my time but have not heard back...

I've also contacted at least one member about volunteering and haven't heard back either.

Would there be any chance for future NASC auctions in entertaining the idea of buying land currently still at risk in order to preserve the native fauna there?

If I knew that there was something going on like this I would donate a tone of stuff. I do stained glass and I would offer large commissioned work at my cost. I would also donate as much stuff as I possibly could find. I would love to see something like this happen.

Would there be any chance for future NASC auctions in entertaining the idea of buying land currently still at risk in order to preserve the native fauna there?

Unfortunately, I think that anything along those lines would be a while off for the NASC. That type of operation would require a pretty huge amount of initial and ongoing resources. Every year, the auction grows, there are more members and supporters, but the NASC really hasn't been around for too long.

As for you folks who've contacted someone at the NASC regarding volunteering, I'm very surprised that you didn't hear back. That being said, everyone at the NASC has a family, work, and a million of things to take care of (sound familiar? :p), so it's conceivable that an email here or a PM there could slip under the radar (or heck, have been filtered by a spam filter or any other number of stochastic events). I'd invite you all to give it another shot. I know that there are plenty of ways that people away natural plant sites can help...

Also, I do want to say that I think you all are having a real eventful year with this,
as it appears this year in particular is full of "Auction problems and situations"!

What's life without a few rocks on the road? ;) So far, no major disasters. I've been following many of threads and, unless I'm missing something, it seems like things are actually going pretty smoothly. There will always be little problems. ;)

It does...he meant semi-annual. :)

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

I've also contacted at least one member about volunteering and haven't heard back either.

Ok I was going to let that one go since a simple google search can pull up the proper definition but now...:crazy:

Biennial is every two years.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/biannual

Come on now... Which one of us in the naturalized American?? :jester:

And I think I'll stick with my 1st post until I can get a breakdown of the improper grammar:-))
I've contacted board members regarding helping out or volunteering my time but have not heard back...

Thanks for the post Est. I dont think we can thank you guys and gals enough for making this happen every year. But on the positive side, as you said, it is growing so hopefully events where we can actually purchase the land aren't too far off! And as for why I was not receiving any answers; Dave cleared things up for me, thanks again. Let's hope this year is the best one yet!
Thanks for all your hard work!

What were the auction totals this year? Did we break 3000?

Back