What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NASC Auction Discussion/Request Thread

Feel free to discuss anything relating to the NASC Benefit Auction as conversing in the actual auction threads may confuse people counting up the total amount of money raised and the like. I myself got confused yesterday sometimes.

And while I'm at it, I'll take the liberty of periodically counting up the total amount of money in bids throughout the auction. I will record the totals in my signature. So far, yesterday we already have about over 1000 dollars in bids. c:

Thread hijack! I designate this to partly be an auction request thread! Just post something you're interested in someone posting, maybe along with approximate price you'll pay (For the people who want things less obvious!)

For those of you who still are not winning any bids but want to buy something, there are plenty of bargains if you look through them all (especially towards the end).

For those of you who still are not winning any bids but want to buy something, there are plenty of bargains if you look through them all (especially towards the end).

Nice to point out. And there does seem to be some good stuff up for auction that died quickly.

A few of them are now towards the top because I did some bargain hunting.

Actually, looking back, there's some REALLY good stuff.

In one of the more 'controversial' threads, a poster stated that someone who makes a really high bid "takes the fun away". Actually, imho, this adds to the 'fun' of an auction. Yes - there's the usual $2, 3, 4 - slow increases with the occasional small jump in price and then the medium $5 dollar jumps - but don't you love it when someone comes in with a bid that hits like a big hammer? :0o:

Bella did one over here on Av's Heli thread (although Dashman hung in for a little bit on that one - I think the original hammer crushed his soul) :crazy: and then Philcula swung his hammer on a series of Sarr seed offers (like this one), taking the bids from $5 to $25 in one fell swoop. Yowza! How can that not be part of the auction fun? :boogie:

Let the good times roll - remember it's for a really good cause! :hail:

Thread hijack! I designate this to partly be an auction request thread! Just post something you're interested in someone posting, maybe along with approximate price you'll pay (For the people who want things less obvious!)

falconeri please :woot:

In one of the more 'controversial' threads, a poster stated that someone who makes a really high bid "takes the fun away". Actually, imho, this adds to the 'fun' of an auction. Yes - there's the usual $2, 3, 4 - slow increases with the occasional small jump in price and then the medium $5 dollar jumps - but don't you love it when someone comes in with a bid that hits like a big hammer? :0o:

Bella did one over here on Av's Heli thread (although Dashman hung in for a little bit on that one - I think the original hammer crushed his soul) :crazy: and then Philcula swung his hammer on a series of Sarr seed offers (like this one), taking the bids from $5 to $25 in one fell swoop. Yowza! How can that not be part of the auction fun? :boogie:

I actually love it when that happens. And I love auctions for rare, amazing plants, going into the hundreds. I believe last year, a Sarracenia went up to 500 dollars or so.

when i saw the auction bids that Philcula did on the seeds, i was seriously thinking "ARE YOU FOR REAL!?" because he did that on over four or five posts. that's around $125! welp, like you said Ron, it's all for a good cause. i guess Philcula's really into Sarrs, and perhaps discovering new cultivars and such. :)

... And I love auctions for rare, amazing plants, going into the hundreds. I believe last year, a Sarracenia went up to 500 dollars or so.
I love it even more when one of those "rare, amazing plants" finds it's way to my place when the auction is over .... :banana2:

LOL. Yes, I have to say I was feeling on top of the world until Bella smacked me upside the head with a C NOTE. I sheepishly came back with 110 knowing all too well I could not break his resolve.

I wouldn't count me out though or Bella in for that matter, I wouldn't be surprised to see that beauty go for $150 or more.

I actually love it when that happens. And I love auctions for rare, amazing plants, going into the hundreds. I believe last year, a Sarracenia went up to 500 dollars or so.

would you be able to show me the link? i'd love to take a look at that myself!

I wouldn't count me out though or Bella in for that matter, I wouldn't be surprised to see that beauty go for $150 or more.

I definitely wouldn't doubt it. I mean, just look at the thing! It's a Heli, AND red.

LOL. Yes, I have to say I was feeling on top of the world until Bella smacked me upside the head with a C NOTE. I sheepishly came back with 110 knowing all too well I could not break his resolve.
On the flip side of that, I was feeling Jimmy would come right back & crush me with a bid over here after he jumped from $55 to $75 and I meekly hit $80 (but with some smack-talk thrown in). I guess the 'smack-talk' worked - eh??

I know atleast for me, when my auctions get higher I tend to go looking for the next item to post up. All those high rollers will run out of money sometime :boogie:.

As for the wish list part...well we still don't have enough Ceph's up. I'd like to see more typical's with some variation between them.

A Brocchinia reducta would be nice to see.

Those VFT's with location data from last year that I lost the bid on.

Another batch of Jams and hot sauce!

Oh I could go on and on.

On the flip side of that, I was feeling Jimmy would come right back & crush me with a bid over here after he jumped from $55 to $75 and I meekly hit $80 (but with some smack-talk thrown in). I guess the 'smack-talk' worked - eh??

Only time will tell. :)

would you be able to show me the link? i'd love to take a look at that myself!
The past auctions have been put into some hidden closet somewhere .... not accessible to mortals...

I think a year or two before that, we had a guy put the hammer down on some petiolaris plants - something north of one or two C-notes iirc. Pretty impressive at the time... :hail:

@ron: you called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind....
and with that said, i have no space to keep a h. chimantensis. :-D although if an h. sarracenoides happened to make it's way around here, i might have to make space...:p

Back