What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Curious World of Carnivorous Plants (English). . . carnivoure12 15$

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Curious World of Carnivorous Plants: A Comprehensive Guide to Their Biology and Cultivation by Wilhelm Barthlott, Stefan Porembski, Rüdiger Seine, and Inge Theisen is a translation of their popular 2004 book, Karnivoren: Biologie und Kultur Fleischfressender Pflanzen, a title which has quickly become a favorite of mine; and it was a pleasant surprise to see it translated into English for the first time by Oregon's Timber Press. From what I could tell -- having just seen it recently -- it is, page for page, a duplication of the original German work (aside from a new cover and title), right down to photographs and format.

KARNIVOREN.jpg
CURIOUSWORLD.jpg

What distinguishes this book from several others currently available to the general public is a very unapologetic -- Germanic -- dedication to scientific detail and history, but written with a broad approachability and skill. From the outset, it reminded me of an easy "hybrid" of 1942’s The Carnivorous Plants with Francis E. Lloyd's clinical approach, fused with that of The Savage Garden and Peter D’Amato’s very practical horticultural instructions. The Curious World covers all of the well-known genera and a few others lesser-so (Colura, Pleurozia, and Arthrobotrys, for example) in a straightforward manner and provides some photographs few have probably ever seen -- scanning electron micrographs (or, if you would prefer, Rasterelektronenmikroskopische) of the trapping mechanisms of Utricularia, Genlisia, Cephalotus, among others. It is profusely illustrated with some great macro photography of plant / insect interaction, worldwide images of the carnivorous plants in the field, along with a bounty of good, stern Teutonic advice on the cultivation of individual species . . .

Opening bid is 10.00 and shipping will be US 6.00. Any questions can be sent to ddentonca@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
$10.00

Nice to see you back BigB :)

I will have the payment soon!

Auction needs to be completed. Please either send payment or ship item. If the item has already been shipped or received please post status of the auction.

Still awaiting NASC payment, so far as I know . . .

Auction needs to be completed. Please either send payment or ship item. If the item has already been shipped or received please post status of the auction.

Auction has been paid for. Free to ship as soon as shipping is taken care of.

Will be shipped either tomorrow or Tuesday (due to Memorial Day) . . .

The item was already shipped . . .

for the last time, it was shipped!

I know it was shipped, you've said that. There are multiple reasons I post that to EVERY open auction. If the auction is still open it means that somebody has not completed a step in this auction. So if you have already stated that you shipped, then your part is done and you don't need to do anything further and we have a public record of where this auction stands. In this case this posting is aimed at the winner, not you.
Another reason I post this to every auctions is to sink the closed auctions to the back pages and keep the open auctions grouped together. It's easier for us to go though 2 pages of auctions then to have to look through all 10 pages of them for a certain auction.

So remember I posted the reminder in ALL the open auctions and not just yours.

Item was reported to have been shipped more that 3 weeks ago and should have had plenty of time to arrive. Since the winner have not responded it will be assumed that the item arrived and this auction will be closed. If there is a reason that this should not be considered closed, please PM me and I'll reopen it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back