User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Discussion/Requests Here - Bids ONLY in the Auction Threads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSarracenia View Post
    It's not that someone is just driving up the price. I think the concern is that a minor could be bidding to get the item without really understanding that they can't just back out or they come to find out their parents won't cover that large or an amount. There are no real ramifications for someone who backs out on an auction. If the bidding were between a forum member and a minor and the minor were to when raise a bid to $10 when the opening bid of $2 was made by the other. In order for the legal participant to won they would need to bid $11. Since the minor cannot legally join such an auction, any activity on that item should be nullified and the item should be auctioned for the highest LEGALLY unchallenged bid. Even if a third person were to bid $12 to become the highest bidder, in reality the auction is really only at $2 when that third person bids. Yes Natch, I have invested far too much time contemplating this issue. Just my two cents worth and won't even buy bubble gum anymore. LOL
    Just what every unpleasant situation one finds one's self in needs. Lawyers. No offense Natch!
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tempest in a teapot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NatchGreyes View Post
    Personally, I'm not sure how it has been done in the past for bidders that have reneged. I assume that it would be offered to the next highest bidder at his or her highest bid after it was confirmed that the winner bidder would not pay.
    This is also my recollection of what's been done. The issue isn't just about minors nor about bidding. It's about people honoring their commitments. There have been failures on both sides - people not delivering the item(s) they listed & not paying for item(s) they won. You can probably dig up past details if you wish but NASC & site owner deal with issues as they arise - it's not frequent & not a huge deal. (imho)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years back I had an invalid bid from the highest bidder that reverted to the next highest that defaulted, that reverted to the next highest that defaulted and so on until the original first bidder got the item for $5

Kinda funny and annoying at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wasnt meaning to create a big issue, it was asked of me by a co-worker and I just focused on it all day and it snowballed. No worries, I will not bring it back up. Thanks for everyones imput on the matter.
    "Only when you live to learn, will you learn to live"
    GROWLIST

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by SubRosa; 04-15-2015 at 04:34 AM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    A few years back I had an invalid bid from the highest bidder that reverted to the next highest that defaulted, that reverted to the next highest that defaulted and so on until the original first bidder got the item for $5

Kinda funny and annoying at the same time.
    I suspect the funny to annoying ratio has improved with time!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auction tips

All good things come to an end and April 19 will be here sooner than you think.

A few tips -

Terraforums is not a dedicated auction site so it may not be able to handle the traffic caused by last minute/second bidding. Although Andrew has taken steps to beef up the server and bandwidth the increased traffic has caused problems in the past - server/database hang ups, even bringing the server down. So I would suggest that you get your final bids in well before the closing time. And the imposed delay between posts can also be an annoyance if you try to "snipe" several items in quick succession.

Subscribe or create short cuts to the threads of items you wish to monitor closely. You can set preferences to notify you, by email if you wish, whenever a thread gets a reply. This is especially useful after the auction to track the status of items you may have donated. See the "Thread Tools" drop down menu at the top of the threads.

Look at the last pages of the auction. Many times items posted early in the auction get "forgotten". They need some additional love too.

Have fun and thanks to all who are participating.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 04-15-2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: oopsie
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast