What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion & Requests

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
If you'd like to discuss any auction item please do it here and not in the auction listing.

Are we up and running? :-D

Use this thread for requests too.

I'd like to request lowland nepenthes!

I don't know if I'm allowed to make species specific requests, but I would like to request N. Maxima or N. Miranda.

I would like a spatula Sundew or another species of Sundew that isn't unwieldy.

I would also like a smaller easily propagated Pinguicula (Butterwort)

You know the common one - with a baby plant at the end of every leaf :-D

[MENTION=12104]curtisconners[/MENTION] female N. maxima will be listed in a few moments!

Wasn't there something in the rules, in the past, to prevent offering invasive plants?

I would think it falls under this:
Weapons, chemicals or any items that have the potential for causing harm are NOT allowed

Last edited:
Wasn't there something in the rules, in the past, to prevent offering invasive plants?

I would think it falls under this:
Weapons, chemicals or any items that have the potential for causing harm are NOT allowed

There is the Q of whether what is invasive in one region is invasive in another. And then there is the Q of being one's brother's keeper Butterfly bush (Buddleia) , for example, is known to be invasive in much of the US, though there are areas where it is not. Yet it is commonly sold in BBSs everywhere it seems. Even knowing its invasive capabilities, many folks will still choose to grow it.

There is the Q of whether what is invasive in one region is invasive in another. And then there is the Q of being one's brother's keeper Butterfly bush (Buddleia) , for example, is known to be invasive in much of the US, though there are areas where it is not. Yet it is commonly sold in BBSs everywhere it seems. Even knowing its invasive capabilities, many folks will still choose to grow it.

It's not being my brothers keeper, it's trying to prevent the spread of invasives that choke out and prevent native plants from living. Invasives are fine, in a pot, and their seed prevented somehow from spreading. But common sense knows this is not the case 99% of the time. And many folks don't care about a species being invasive, as long as they want to grow it.

I don't know if I'm allowed to make species specific requests, but I would like to request N. Maxima or N. Miranda.

Added two N. maxima auctions.

I would like a spatula Sundew or another species of Sundew that isn't unwieldy.

I would also like a smaller easily propagated Pinguicula (Butterwort)

You know the common one - with a baby plant at the end of every leaf :-D

Added a Ping. 'Sethos', basically a weed for me, YMMV.

I added a disclaimer to all my listings that might be considered invasive. However, I grow them all here in my Missouri zone 6 climate without much problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. I have added a disclaimer.

Last edited:
I added a disclaimer to all my listings that might be considered invasive. However, I grow them all here in my Missouri zone 6 climate without much problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. I have added a disclaimer.

Thank for adding the disclaimer. However growing them "without a problem" means nothing. Many states allow invasives to be sold even though they are on that states invasive weed list. However The bamboo is considered illegal to grow in New York. It is the vinca and the lilly of the valley that are on many states invasive lists as well, but I did not see them banned as the bamboo was.

Last edited:
Looking for Utricularia cornuta!

RE: Invasive Species

There is a Federal list of invasive species and each state has their additional own lists. A species may be on a state list and not the Federal list. Most of the laws and regulations have to do with transporting across state lines. While a species may not be on the Federal list if you send a plant to state where it is restricted you violated that state's invasive species restrictions. As such you would then be in violation of the Federal regulations for sending "un-mailable" items. Some states will penalize both the sender and the recipient.

You can find the listing of invasive species for each state from the following website:
Invasive Species: United States - State Resources

Last edited:
They only become invasive when improperly maintained. My rule: don't plant anything I am not willing to control.

I had been growing some D. Binata Multifida Extrema for the auctions, but something happened last fall and I almost lost a lot of them. They are still recovering and not ready to be sent off. Unless someone just really wants some, then I could provide some small ones I suppose.

I do have some stuff I could contribute to the auctions if anyone is interested. I have an overflow of wild Texas chive here that vary from having a sweet to a spicy flavor. Excellent for cooking, grows easily, and self-progagating. I also have some succulents and whatnot- can look at my growlist, although some of it I no longer have. I do have a lot of ice plant; red and peach, sedum, christmas cactus in various colors, couple different types of pencil cactus, spider lillies, giant irises, multiple types of agave, potato vine tubers (not invasive in my climate cause they go dormant over winter).

Last edited:
Cactus and succulents would be great!

Back