What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NASC Update

• Thread starter carolatcj
  • Start date
We have had inquiries recently about what NASC does. Here is a great example!
Thanks to Rob Finnick for single-handedly arranging and implementing this rescue for NASC!
Here are Rob's comments....."The construction is the roadbed that they were in that was about to be paved, the pics of the plants in the ground with the pitchers still attached are before removal, the pic on my trunk is after collecting them, the pitchers on the ground were removed to reduce the risk of vectoring Exyra, the flags are the plants back in the ground at a protected site."
Thanks again, Rob, you are da bomb! 49946841_286681662205119_5914952054366797824_n.jpg52478526_253121548939792_2531573918922178560_n.jpg50081061_1963048723791177_7840559487151767552_n.jpg50487713_327672101180717_6898664938571563008_n.jpg

Very nice! How close to the site they were saved from were they planted?

Always good to see conservation in action. The specific genetics of another site are now safely preserved.

Recently a friend of mine and I were discussing the question of what the NASC did with the money they received from their auctions. So I wrote through a forum contact of theirs and I received this reply:

"We purchased some land to be added to the Boiling Spring Lakes Preserve in Nc. We have spent some money on the land maintenance of that land. We did a donation to the Alabama TNC. We also did a few rescues in the last couple of years. I do agree that we should make more posts about what we do, but we are all volunteers and sometimes we seem to concentrate more of doing what we can to save plants and sites than public relations. It's a long time deficiency that we really need to work on. We are very careful about where our money goes, and there isn't always an immediate need, so we save it until there is. The public are always welcome to join our weekly meetings. We always try to be a transparent as possible."

For anyone who has worked for a volunteer organization it is easy to imagine how it looks from the inside, I'm sure. There is more work to be done than people and time to do it. But the bottom line is - your auction bids go towards important conservation that may well not get done otherwise.

Recently a friend of mine and I were discussing the question of what the NASC did with the money they received from their auctions. So I wrote through a forum contact of theirs and I received this reply:

"We purchased some land to be added to the Boiling Spring Lakes Preserve in Nc. We have spent some money on the land maintenance of that land. We did a donation to the Alabama TNC. We also did a few rescues in the last couple of years. I do agree that we should make more posts about what we do, but we are all volunteers and sometimes we seem to concentrate more of doing what we can to save plants and sites than public relations. It's a long time deficiency that we really need to work on. We are very careful about where our money goes, and there isn't always an immediate need, so we save it until there is. The public are always welcome to join our weekly meetings. We always try to be a transparent as possible."

For anyone who has worked for a volunteer organization it is easy to imagine how it looks from the inside, I'm sure. There is more work to be done than people and time to do it. But the bottom line is - your auction bids go towards important conservation that may well not get done otherwise.

We appreciate you posting this. We do try to be the best stewards of our money that we possibly can. Most of us don't even ask to be reimbursed for supplies and the like. We are dedicated to the cause.

Back