What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 ICPS Conference

• Thread starter Tanukimo
  • Start date
The BACPS will be co-hosting the 2018 ICPS Conference in August. The announcement can be found on the club Facebook page.

Conference website: http://www.icpscon2018.com/ Registration: https://www.icpscon2018.com/conference-agenda

Date: August 3-5, 2018 (field trip from August 7-11)
Cost: $125 for the conference, $75 for the banquet, $1000 for the field trip

A short description of the conference with more details has been posted on the ICPS homepage. Here is the text for those who are interested:

"The International Carnivorous Plant Society announces the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society and California Carnivores will co-host the 2018 ICPS conference with help from the San Diego CPS and the Los Angeles CPS!

Please come join us August 3-5, 2018, in Santa Rosa, California, tucked in the heart of beautiful Sonoma County. This area is renowned for its lovely scenery, mild weather, and culinary excellence. It is against this backdrop that we hope to provide what will be a once in a lifetime carnivorous plant event!

This is truly the golden age of carnivorous plants and we hope to highlight that with almost 3 full days of lectures on the cutting edge of CP discovery, taxonomy, and cultivation. The conference will begin with an opening presentation from Peter D’Amato, author of “The Savage Garden” and founder of California Carnivores. Be sure and bring your books and get them autographed by Peter! The line-up of presenters is still being put together, but we already have some illustrious names confirmed including: Stewart McPherson, Fernando Rivadavia, Greg Bourke, Larry Mellichamp, Andreas Fleischmann, Naoki Tanabe, and Ulrike Bauer.

The BACPS will be running a special expanded two-day Show and Sale in conjunction with the conference. This includes a judged plant show full of beautifully grown plants from our members and vendors with lots of plants for sale. It is our goal to have as many actual plants on display as possible.

An academic poster event will be held for speakers and other scientists to present their work.

On Sunday, after the presentations wrap up, you will be shuttled a short drive to California Carnivores for a catered banquet dinner. Imagine dining amidst our internationally recognized carnivorous plant collection with other experts and enthusiasts from around the world.

Monday after the conference will be a free day for everyone. California Carnivores will be an open house for those who want to spend more time there, but San Francisco is only an hour away for those with family who might be sick of carnivores by then.

Field trips leave Tuesday morning, August 7, for Darlingtonia country! The cobra plant is one of the most charismatic and animalistic of all carnivorous plants and yet it has been seen by relatively few because of its far-flung range. They are definitely worth the four-hour drive north! For starters, you’ll see the full diversity of color and forms that live in Del Norte Co., California. You’ll see rocky cliffs with hundreds of Pinguicula macroceras subsp. nortensis clinging to them like tiny starfish. Drosera rotundifolia will be present at several sites as well. We plan to end our excursion with Eight Dollar Mountain in Southern Oregon; a spectacular site where Darlingtonia grow from the river up most of the mountain. You’ll be in good company too with such illustrious travel companions including Barry Rice, Peter D’Amato, and Damon Collingsworth.

I love these conferences because they are a rare opportunity to gather with people from all over the world who are passionate about my passion. I always leave with new friends and appreciation for the plants that I love so much. Please come and be a part of carnivorous plant history."

Last edited:
I don't see the location of the conference announced on the ICPS website. I am not on Facebook so do you have more information on it, or is it still too early? I would love to come down to the bay area for it!

I don't remember the name of the hotel that the conference will be held at, but the location was chosen because it was close to a major CP nursery. The presentations will be given at conference rooms at the hotel and there should be plants being sold the whole time. I'm just a regular member so I don't have any insider information, just what was said at the last BACPS meeting.

Hmmm. That sounds like something to think about for me considering that it is much closer to where I live than it is likely to be again for quite some time. It will probably be awhile before the Portland CP Group is ready to host it!

I don't remember the name of the hotel that the conference will be held at, but the location was chosen because it was close to a major CP nursery.

Probably some no-tell motel, equidistant between an adult bookstore and a bodega, off 101 . . .

Probably some no-tell motel, equidistant between an adult bookstore and a bodega, off 101 . . .
89HANHg.gif

From the BACPS summer newsletter: "The potential dates are August 3-5 and will be in Santa Rosa at the Vineyard Inn, with the banquet dinner closing out the conference being held at [a local CP nursery]. The show and sale will be connected to the conference and also held at that time in Santa Rosa. The proposed theme is Exploration."

Ooh, rubber chicken dinner in Santa Rosa. Pinch me . . .

The conference will be held from August 3 to 5 and tickets should go on sale around October. There will be an optional field trip at the end to see Darlingtonia up north. I will update the original post with what is known so far.

Is there a roll call yet? Like maybe add a poll to this thread? and have people vote yea or nay to going (or a solid maybe for the waffles...)

Is there a roll call yet? Like maybe add a poll to this thread? and have people vote yea or nay to going (or a solid maybe for the waffles...)

I tried adding a poll to the original post but it looks like I can't. Feel free to make a poll in another thread if you want. Hopefully lots of people will come.

More details have been added on the ICPS website and there is a website up now. Original post has been updated.

I was made aware at the BACPS meeting this past weekend that registration is now open. The cost is $125 for the conference and $75 for the banquet on the last day. There will also be a field trip from August 7th to 11th to see Darlingtonia which will cost $1000 and is limited to 20 people.

Back