What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

are these pups ready to be seperated?

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
The pups on my plant are as tall as the mother.
are they ready to be seperated?
Also, since I never have done this before, how do you seperate them?
brompups.jpg

Peace,
Zero

it's a home depot brom, had round red infloresense when I bought it.

I think you take it out of the pot, tease away all the dirt around the roots, and then gently pull away the pups from the mother. Or you can cut away the roots around the mother since it is going to die anyway and then you will be positive you didn't damage the pup's root system.

xvart.

thanks, I guess I will try to pull it apart.
is a peat based soil ok for broms?
peace,
Zero

I grow them in bark mix and recently have been mixing in coarse "landscape stone" it increase the durability and weight. I don't like peat, except in a bog. You don't really need to take them apart. I knew someone at work who said his family grew a Bromeliad (Aechmia fasciata, according to his description) in the same pot and never divided it and it bloomed regularly. I gave my brother a NOID Aechmea hybrid many years ago and he's never repotted it either. They do fine either way and might be better off undivided.

General rule for removing pups seems to be wait until they are at least 1/3 of the parent's size.

Best regards

Chris

Back